Instant Pot Apple Cider Donut Cake—moist cake made with applesauce and apple cider and then topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Addicting!
Each week in 2020 I’m sharing a recipe inspired by one of the 50 states. So far I’ve covered…
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- See all the state recipes in one place
If you have an idea for a state I haven’t covered yet please email me [email protected] –remember it’s a recipe that has to be made (at least in part) in the Instant Pot.
Today’s recipe is inspired by the First State, Delaware. On December 7, 1787, Delaware became the first state to ratify the Constitution of the United States, and has since been known as “The First State”. When I think of Delaware I think of the Delaware River, how small it is (2nd smallest state), Rehoboth Beach and my neighbors a few doors down who are the only people I’ve ever known from Delaware.
Instant Pot Apple Cider Donut Cake
Today’s recipe is a spin-off of the apple cider donut. If you ask around about what to eat in Delaware in the fall, chances are everyone will point you to their favorite apple cider donut bakery. There’s nothing like the taste of cider and cinnamon and carbs on a chilly fall day.
This cake has amazing apple flavor thanks to the apple cider. I know you’re not supposed to eat uncooked batter but I surely licked the batter bowl clean. It was sooooo good. The cinnamon and apple just tasted so good. Try making Instant Pot apple cider donut cake this fall! I know you’ll love it too!
What equipment do I need? For this cake the pot-in-pot method is used. You’ll need the following equipment:
- Instant Pot*: a 6 or 8 quart will work fine. The 3 quart pot is too small.
- Trivet/Sling with handles*: This will allow you to drop the cake pan into the pot and then retrieve it when it is done cooking.
- Half size bundt cake pan*: A large full size bundt cake pan won’t fit inside your Instant Pot but a 6 cup bundt cake pan fits perfect. I would not suggest using a normal cake pan for this recipe since the hole in the middle of the bundt cake pan really lets the cake bake evenly.
If you’d like to see how the pot-in-pot method works watch this video where I make another Instant Pot apple cake recipe! Both are good but I think the apple cider donut cake is the better of the two. And if you are a visual learner please subscribe to my YouTube channel. I post Instant Pot stuff weekly.
More Instant Pot Cake Recipes…
Moist cake made with applesauce and apple cider and topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Addicting!
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider (not apple cider vinegar 😜)
- 6 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 6 Tbsp applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Optional: 1 Tbsp melted butter, 2 Tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp apple cider
If you want glaze instead of frosting:
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Spray a half size bundt cake pan* liberally with non-stick cooking spray. Pour 1 cup water into the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- In a mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together the sugar, apple cider, oil, applesauce, vanilla and eggs.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk until combined. Scrape batter into the prepared bundt cake pan.
- Cover the bundt cake pan with foil. Place the pan on a trivet/sling with handles* and lower the pan into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 45 minutes. When time is up wait 5 minutes and then release the pressure and remove the lid. Remove the pan. Invert the pan onto a plate/platter and remove the cake from the pan.
- Optional step: Spread melted butter with a pastry brush all over cake. Stir together the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle it over the cake.
- Make your choice of a glaze or the frosting by whisking/beating the ingredients together well until smooth. Drizzle the glaze on or spread the frosting over the cake once it has cooled.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this in your 8 quart as well. Just add 1.5 cups of water into Instant Pot instead of 1 cup.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.