Instant Pot Key Lime Pie—tart, sweet, creamy citrus filling in a graham cracker crust that’s cooked quickly in your pressure cooker.
Each week in 2020 I’m sharing a recipe inspired by one of the 50 states. So far I’ve covered…
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Today’s recipe is inspired by the Sunshine State, Florida. Florida’s nickname comes from its abundant sunshine and warmth. When I think of Florida I think of beaches, humidity, Disney World (and other theme parks), palm trees, alligators, citrus fruits and cruises.
Greg’s parents used to live in Clearwater Beach near Tampa, Florida so we have fond memories of Florida. It’s a great place to visit, especially in the winter! Although I must say my hair is always crazy in Florida. More humidity=crazy hair #curly girl life.
One fruit that grows abundantly in the Florida Keys are key limes. Every restaurant in the Florida Keys serves this tart and sweet pie which is considered the official pie of the Florida Keys.
Key limes are smaller and have more seeds than that of a “regular” lime. They have a higher acidity, a stronger aroma, and a thinner rind. If you can’t find key limes at your grocery store use half lime and half lemon juice.
Instant Pot Key Lime Pie
This pie reminded me of the creamy consistency of cheese cake and it was such a refreshing treat in the summer heat. I had a hard time waiting until the pie was chilled to eat it. Because it needs to chill for about 4 hours I should probably have made it earlier in the day or the day before.
What equipment do I need to make Instant Pot key lime pie? To make key lime pie in the Instant Pot you’ll need a 7 inch springform pan*. I have this pan and use it for cheesecake as well. You’ll also want a sling or a trivet with handles* to lower in the cake pan and retrieve it.
Can you substitute lime for key lime? If you can’t find key limes at your grocery store use half lime and half lemon juice.
How do you know when key lime pie is done? The middle should be set, but a little jiggly still.
How long will key lime pie keep? Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days.
Is Key Lime Pie yellow or green? Yellow. Key limes are West Indian limes, which are yellow when ripe – not green.
Can you freeze key lime pie with whipped cream? Yes. This pie tastes great when stored in the freezer. Pop it out of the freezer a couple of hours before you want to cut and eat it.
Tart, sweet, creamy citrus filling in a graham cracker crust that’s cooked quickly in your pressure cooker.
- 5 rectangle graham crackers, crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup fresh key lime juice (or ¼ cup lime juice and ¼ cup lemon juice)
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp key lime zest
- Spray a 7 inch spring form pan* with non-stick cooking spray. In a bowl stir together the graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the spring form pan. Put the pan in the freezer.
- In a mixing bowl beat the egg yolks until they are a light yellow. Beat in the sweetened condensed milk until the mixture thickens. Add in the lime juice and beat until smooth. Stir in the sour cream and zest.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and pour the pie filling into it. Cover the pan with foil.
- Pour 1 cup of water in the bottom of Instant Pot. Place spring form pan on a trivet with handles and lower it into the bottom of the pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Remove the foil. Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool. Once cooled completely place pie in the refrigerator and chill (about 4 hours).
- Serve pie with whipped cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.