Instant Pot 4-Ingredient Banana Bread—an easy recipe that uses a cake mix, some ripe bananas and your electric pressure cooker. This steamed banana bread is very moist, the consistency is more like a bread pudding than bread.
Instant Pot 4-Ingredient Banana Bread (video)
I saw this traditional recipe for banana bread that uses a cake mix and I knew I had to try it in the Instant Pot. Sometimes when ease, time and convenience are valued those cake mixes really come in handy. I loved how the batter took me 5 minutes to whip up and then it was into the Instant Pot cooking away while I did stuff around the house.
The result was a moist, almost bread-pudding-like, banana bread that tasted so good warm with a little butter spread on it. After I’d eaten a couple of slices my kids devoured the rest in just a few minutes. I do believe if you have leftovers they would freeze really well in an airtight container or a ziploc bag.
The one weird thing about this recipe is that you only use half of a cake mix. But the good thing about that is if you want to make banana bread on back-to-back days you can. Just use your leftover cake mix. I used a spice cake mix and it was perfect. But I also believe that a white cake mix or a yellow cake mix would work well.
The advantage to using your Instant Pot to make banana bread is that you don’t have to turn on your oven on a 95 degree day! If you’re into moistness and bananas and chocolate I think you’ll really like this cake bread.
More Instant Pot recipes that use a bundt cake pan
I used a half size bundt cake pan* that I purchased on Amazon. Here are some other recipes that you can use with a small bundt pan:
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot 4-Ingredient Banana Bread I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
One of my favorite Instant Pot accessories is this OXO Sling*. It comes in handy for so many recipes!
An easy recipe that uses a cake mix. some ripe bananas and your electric pressure cooker. This steamed banana bread is very moist, the consistency is more like a bread pudding than bread.
- 11 ounces (311 grams) peeled and mashed bananas (about 3 small bananas)
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups (215 grams) spice cake mix (½ of one 15 ounce cake mix)
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips (optional but highly recommended)
- In a bowl add the mashed bananas, oil and eggs. Stir until combined. Then stir in the cake mix. Mix until no white streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spray a half-size bundt cake pan* with non-stick cooking spray. Scrape the batter into the pan. Smooth the top.
- Pour 1 ½ cups water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. To prevent drippage on top of the banana bread loosely cover the pan with foil. Make sure there is room for the cake to expand so make it dome-shaped. Place banana bread pan on top of trivet/sling and lower the trivet into the Instant Pot.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook time to 60 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up allow for a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Remove the lid. Lift out the trivet and cake pan. Let the banana bread sit for 10 minutes and then run a knife around the edges of the bread to loosen it. Place a plate on top of the cake pan and then invert the pan and plate so that it falls out onto the plate.
- Eat and enjoy warm or cold. Store leftovers in an airtight container. This bread freezes well.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.