Instant Pot Maid-Rite Sandwiches—seasoned, simmered flavorful loose ground beef sandwiches served with mustard and a pickle.
Instant Pot Maid-Rite Sandwiches
Each week in 2020 I’m sharing a recipe inspired by one of the 50 states. So far I’ve covered Alabama, Louisiana, Utah, Minnesota, Colorado, Idaho, Hawaii, South Carolina and Illinois. Today’s recipe is inspired by the Hawkeye State–Iowa.
When I think of Iowa, I think of a classic Midwestern state with good people. I also think of the University of Iowa and how they wave to the kids in the children’s hospital during the football games. Have you seen that? It always brings a tear to my eye. In 2017, “the Hawkeyes started the ‘Iowa wave,’ a new tradition where Iowa fans turn away from the field at the end of the first quarter to wave to the children watching from the windows of the newly built University of Iowa’s Stead Family Children’s Hospital that overlooks Kinnick Stadium.”
Initially when I thought of a recipe for Iowa I thought of corn. Iowa is number 1 in the country for corn production. I do have a great Instant Pot corn on the cob recipe if you’re interested!
But I decided to go with a loose meat sandwich called a Maid-Rite. According to their website “A Taylor’s Maid-Rite is a loose meat sandwich made of finely ground hamburger. The hamburger is cooked and put in a bun, then served with mustard, pickles or chopped onions. And now after 86 yrs – ketchup is available on the counter! Maid-Rite restaurants are franchises located mainly in Iowa and the Midwest. “
Don’t confuse the Maid-Rite with a sloppy joe! Although they are both made with loose ground beef they don’t taste alike. The sloppy joe has a tomato based sauce while the Maid-Rite doesn’t really have a sauce. It’s more of a loose hamburger than a sloppy joe.
I loved eating my Maid-Rite sandwich with some mustard and pickle. My kids had ketchup too. My son gobbled his up and said it was his favorite sandwich ever. I don’t know if he was just super hungry or if that was the truth. Either way…I will take it. Try these Instant Pot Maid-Rite Sandwiches for a quick and easy dinner this week!
More sandwiches worth trying…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
Seasoned, simmered flavorful loose ground beef sandwiches served with mustard and a pickle.
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 tsp Better than Bouillon Beef Base (or 1 beef bouillon cube)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4–6 hamburger buns
- Optional toppings: mustard, pickles, cheese, ketchup
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Add in the salt and pepper. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. It doesn’t need to be totally cooked through. If there is excess grease, drain it off. Turn off the saute setting.
- Add in the water, beef base, onion powder, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Stir the meat to break it up. Add extra Worcestershire to taste.
- Scoop the meat onto buns and top with desired toppings.
Recipe adapted from a slow cooker version on the Slow Roasted Italian.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.