Instant Pot Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas—chicken is cooked in a green chile sauce in your Instant Pot. Then it’s chopped and rolled up in a tortilla with cheese and smothered with more enchilada sauce.
Slow cooker instructions are listed in the recipe card below.
Instant Pot Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Each week in 2020 I’m sharing a recipe inspired by one of the 50 states. So far I’ve covered Alabama, Louisiana, Utah, Minnesota, Colorado, Idaho, Hawaii, South Carolina, Illinois, Iowa and Alaska. Today’s recipe is inspired by the Land of Enchantment–New Mexico. (If you want to see all the “state recipes” listed in one place you can go here).
When I think of New Mexico I think of the four corners, the Santa Fe song sung by Christian Bale in Newsies, Carlsbad Caverns and the license plates with green and red chiles on them that state New Mexico is the “chile capital of the world.”
According to Wikipedia, “New Mexico chile is the defining ingredient of New Mexican food. Chile is New Mexico’s largest agricultural crop. Within New Mexico, green chile is also popular in non-New Mexican cuisines including Mexican-style food and American food like cheeseburgers, french fries, bagels, and pizza.”
So of course I had to use green chile in New Mexico’s recipe! I’m sure New Mexicans will probably state that using fresh green chilies is the best choice. But for sake of ease and what I can actually access right now at my grocery store I used canned hatch green chilies.
I love all things green chile so of course I loved the green chile sauce covering the cheesy enchilada with chunks of chicken. This kind of meal is totally my jam.
My recipe cooks the chicken and sauce in the Instant Pot and then utilizes the oven to bake the enchiladas. If you’re just wanting chicken with a green chile sauce you can do it all in the Instant Pot. This might be a good choice for someone wanting to eat lower carb. I hope you enjoy these enchiladas as much as I did.
More Green Chile Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
Chicken is cooked in a green chile sauce in your Instant Pot. Then it’s chopped and rolled up in a tortilla with cheese and smothered with more enchilada sauce.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 (4 oz) cans diced hatch green chilies
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen is fine)
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp cumin, divided
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp flour
- Flour or corn tortillas (I used whole wheat tortillas)
- 2 cups grated pepper jack cheese or monterey jack cheese
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion. Saute for about 4 minutes then add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds. Deglaze the pot with the chicken broth. Then turn off the saute setting.
- Add in the green chiles. Add in the chicken in one layer. Then lightly salt and pepper the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with oregano and 1 tsp of the cumin.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes for thawed chicken or 15 minutes for frozen chicken. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to place the chicken on a cutting board. Use a stick blender to blend the sauce until smooth or you can pour the sauce into a blender and blend until smooth. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Add the remaining ½ tsp of cumin and ½ tsp of kosher salt into the Instant Pot. In a small bowl stir together a few tablespoons of the sauce in the Instant Pot with the flour. Whisk it until it’s smooth. Then stir the flour mixture into the Instant Pot. The boiling liquid will thicken in a few minutes.
- As the sauce is thickening chop up the chicken. I like to use this tool to chop chicken.
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the sauce has thickened turn off the Instant Pot. Pour about 1/3 cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan. If using corn tortillas warm them up in the microwave for 60 seconds until pliable. Add 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of chicken to the center of each tortilla (depending on how big they are). Then sprinkle 1-2 Tbsp of cheese on top of the chicken. Drizzle 1 Tbsp of the sauce in the middle of each tortilla. Roll up the tortillas and place them seam side down into the pan. Pour the rest of the sauce over the top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this in the 8 quart or 3 quart with no changes.
To make in the slow cooker: Saute onions and garlic in the oil on your stove. Then add to your slow cooker. Add in the chicken broth, green chilies, chicken, oregano, 1 tsp of cumin and 2 Tbsp of flour. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Use tongs to place the chicken on a cutting board. Add the remaining ½ tsp of cumin and ½ tsp of kosher salt into the slow cooker. Blend the sauce in your slow cooker, either with a stick blender or in a standing blender. Heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Pour about 1/3 cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan. If using corn tortillas warm them up in the microwave for 60 seconds until pliable. Add 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of chicken to the center of each tortilla (depending on how big they are). Then sprinkle 1-2 Tbsp of cheese on top of the chicken. Drizzle 1 Tbsp of the sauce Roll up the tortillas and place them seam side down into the pan. Pour the rest of the sauce over the top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.