Instant Pot King Ranch Chicken—this cheesy and creamy chicken casserole with tortillas and Rotel has its roots in Texas but that doesn’t mean us non-Texans can’t enjoy it too! Whip up my version in just a few minutes using your Instant Pot and NO cream of soups!
Get the SLOW COOKER King Ranch Chicken recipe here
Instant Pot King Ranch Chicken
Each week in 2020 I’m sharing a recipe inspired by one of the 50 states. So far I’ve covered…
- South Carolina
- New Mexico
- West Virginia
- South Dakota
- North Dakota
Today’s recipe is inspired by the Lone Star State, Texas. Texas is the second largest state by area in the United States and it is the largest of the contiguous 48 states. They say, “everything’s bigger in Texas.”
Last week I talked about Ohio and how my husband, Greg, lived there for 10 years growing up. The second state of his youth was Texas where he also lived for 10 years. He loved his time in the Dallas area.
When I think about Texas I think about the Dallas Cowboys, hot weather, “the stars at night are big and bright deep in the heart of Texas”, super nice people, barbecue, Tex-Mex and the Alamo.
I could have chosen a number of different recipes to represent Texas. Mainly barbecue or chili or anything Tex-Mex. I didn’t think I could do those justice. I get a feeling that my Instant Pot brisket and my Instant Pot chili might not make the Texan cut. I’m pretty sure Texans take those two food super seriously.
So instead I chose to go for a casserole called King Ranch Chicken. From what I’ve read King Ranch Chicken is one of those casseroles that is at every potluck in Texas. I’m not sure about that but what I do know is that my version is super yummy and has no cream of soups and makes an excellent weeknight dinner. My version has Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles), corn tortillas, a few spices, chicken and lots of cheese.
The corn tortillas are added in right at the end so they don’t get mushy. Usually I’m not a fan of corn tortillas but for this recipe they are a must. If you use flour tortillas they get gummy. Plus if you’re serving someone who needs to eat gluten free the corn tortillas make that easy.
This casserole sure tastes good. And the leftovers taste great too. Try out this Instant Pot King Ranch Chicken this week!
More Instant Pot Recipes…
This cheesy and creamy chicken casserole with tortillas and Rotel has its roots in Texas but that doesn’t mean us non-Texans can’t enjoy it too! Whip up my version in just a few minutes using your Instant Pot and NO cream of soups!
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 oz) can rotel (I used mild)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 11 (6 inch) soft corn tortillas, cut or torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Sour cream, for topping
- Sliced avocados, for topping
- Add broth, onions and chicken into the Instant Pot. Dump the rotel on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and salt over the chicken.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes for small chicken breasts, 15 minutes for large chicken breasts (if frozen add 3 minutes to each of the times). When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Place chicken on a cutting board. Shred or dice into pieces. Add the chicken back into the Instant Pot. Add the bell pepper into the Instant Pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. In a bowl stir together the half and half and the cornstarch together until smooth. Stir the mixture into the Instant Pot. It should thicken up shortly.
- Add in the tortillas and the cheese. Stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop onto serving dishes and top with cilantro and a dollop of sour cream and avocados.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.