Instant Pot King Ranch Chicken—this cheesy and creamy chicken casserole with tortillas and Rotel has its roots in Texas but that doesn’t mean us non-Texans can’t enjoy it too! Whip up my version in just a few minutes using your Instant Pot and NO cream of soups!
Get the SLOW COOKER King Ranch Chicken recipe here
Instant Pot King Ranch Chicken
From what I’ve read King Ranch Chicken is one of those casseroles that is at every potluck in Texas. I’m not sure about that but what I do know is that my version is super yummy and has no cream of soups and makes an excellent weeknight dinner. My version has Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles), corn tortillas, a few spices, chicken and lots of cheese.
The corn tortillas are added in right at the end so they don’t get mushy. Usually I’m not a fan of corn tortillas but for this recipe they are a must. If you use flour tortillas they get gummy. Plus if you’re serving someone who needs to eat gluten free the corn tortillas make that easy.
I know this isn’t the prettiest thing to look at but it sure tastes good. And the leftovers taste great too. Try out this Instant Pot King Ranch Chicken this week!
More Instant Pot Recipes…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot King Ranch Chicken I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
This cheesy and creamy chicken casserole with tortillas and Rotel has its roots in Texas but that doesn’t mean us non-Texans can’t enjoy it too! Whip up my version in just a few minutes using your Instant Pot and NO cream of soups!
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 oz) can rotel (I used mild)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 11 (6 inch) soft corn tortillas, cut or torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Sour cream, for topping
- Add broth, onions and chicken into the Instant Pot. Dump the rotel on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and salt over the chicken.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes for small chicken breasts, 15 minutes for large chicken breasts (if frozen add 3 minutes to each of the times). When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Place chicken on a cutting board. Shred or dice into pieces. Add the chicken back into the Instant Pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. In a bowl stir together the half and half and the cornstarch together until smooth. Stir the mixture into the Instant Pot. It should thicken up shortly.
- Add in the tortillas and the cheese. Stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop onto serving dishes and top with cilantro and a dollop of sour cream.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.