Instant Pot Firecracker Chicken—sweet and spicy tender pieces of saucy chicken made quickly in your electric pressure cooker.
Get the SLOW COOKER Firecracker Chicken recipe here
Instant Pot Firecracker Chicken
The Fourth of July is in just two days and what would be better to celebrate than firecracker chicken? This chicken is a little spicy thanks to the Sriracha sauce. But it’s not anything too crazy. I could totally handle it fine and I’m kind of a wimp. If you want it more spicy you can always add more Sriracha. If you’re scared of any spiciness then you can cut the Sriracha down to 3 tablespoons. It also has the perfect hint of sweetness.
This chicken and sauce would be perfect served over rice. And if you’re interested you can totally make pot-in-pot white rice the same time you make the chicken. Just add the chicken and sauce into the Instant Pot and then place a trivet/sling* on top of the chicken. Then lower a pan on top of the trivet that contains the rice and water. I use one of these pans* for pot in pot rice.
For this particular recipe I really love the boneless chicken thighs. They come out so tender that you can easily cut them with a fork. I also think that bone-in chicken thighs or legs would be fantastic. I haven’t tried chicken breasts for this recipe but I think they would be just okay. Not as tender. If you end up trying it with chicken breasts let me know what you think.
More Chicken Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Firecracker Chicken I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Sweet and spicy tender pieces of saucy chicken made quickly in your electric pressure cooker.
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- ¼ cup sriracha
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch + 1 Tbsp cold water
- Pour broth into Instant Pot. Place chicken in the bottom of the pot.
- In a bowl stir together the sriracha, brown sugar, soy sauce and garlic. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for thawed chicken or 18 minutes for frozen chicken. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Move the chicken to a platter. Let the pot heat up and reduce the sauce for 5 minutes. I didn’t stir I just let it boil for 5 minutes. In a small bowl stir together the cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Stir the mixture into the Instant Pot. The sauce will thicken up quickly. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
If you like it spicy you can always add more sriracha. I chose to keep it less spicy so my whole family could enjoy it.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.