Instant Pot BBQ Beef Sandwiches–tender shredded beef with an easy homemade barbecue sauce served on a toasted bun. An easy and delicious dinner!
Get the SLOW COOKER BBQ Beef Sandwiches recipe here
Instant Pot BBQ Beef Sandwiches
Roast was on sale 2 for 1 last week at my Smith’s so I stocked up on chuck roast, the best cut for the Instant Pot and slow cooker. This roast gets ultra tender and shreddable and is the perfect cut of meat to make barbecue beef sandwiches.
My family absolutely loved these Instant Pot BBQ beef sandwiches. They are so easy to make and the BBQ sauce was perfect too–not too sweet and lots of flavor. We served our meat on homemade rolls (okay not homemade, they were Rhodes rolls). Next time I make this barbecue beef I am going to serve a scoop of coleslaw on top of the sandwich as well. Yum!
A few notes about the recipe:
Full natural pressure release–a full natural pressure release is letting the pot release the pressure on its own without moving the valve to venting. This can take a long time. Up to 30 minutes. For this recipe it is very important to let the pot release the pressure on its own. If you don’t the meat won’t be as tender and you probably won’t be able to shred it very well. Give yourself about 1 hour and 40 minutes for this recipe to cook. 10 minutes to build pressure, 60 minutes under pressure, 30 minutes to release pressure.
Cutting the meat–I like to cut the meat into about 6 pieces to cook. This allows the meat to get more tender than when there is a big hunk of meat. It also cuts down on the pressure cooking time. If you want to cook a frozen roast you can. Increase the pressure cooking time to 90 minutes for a big 3 pound frozen roast that is in one piece. Don’t forget to use a natural pressure release.
Barbecue sauce–Because I didn’t want the BBQ sauce to get watered down I added it into the meat after it was cooked and shredded. I chose to make an easy homemade BBQ sauce and it tasted wonderful on the meat. If you want to make it super easy on yourself you can use bottled BBQ sauce. I like the Sweet Baby Ray’s brand.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot BBQ Beef Sandwiches I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Tender shredded beef with an easy homemade barbecue sauce served on a toasted bun. An easy and delicious dinner!
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 pound beef chuck roast
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- Pour the beef broth into your Instant Pot. Place a trivet into the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Cut your roast into 6 even pieces. Cut off excess fat. Place the roast pieces on top of trivet. Sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper.
- Cover your Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 60 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for a full natural pressure release (mine took 20 minutes to release).
- While the meat is cooking make a barbecue sauce. In a small bowl stir together the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke.
- Once you are able, remove the lid. Use tongs to remove the meat and place it on a cutting board. Discard the liquid in the pot. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting and add in the barbecue sauce. Shred the meat and add it back into the pot and stir to coat the meat in the sauce.
- Serve the meat on toasted buns or rolls.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also make this in an 8 quart pot. Use 2 cups of broth instead of 1. You can halve this recipe in your 3 quart pot. Halve all the ingredients except the broth.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.