Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Chicken Salad–chicken is pressure cooked or slow cooked and then tossed with the best chicken salad dressing to make a fantastic topping for a bed of lettuce, a bun or croissant.
Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Chicken Salad
In the past I don’t think I have really appreciated chicken salad. I guess mostly because what I have tried has been drowned in mayonnaise and it didn’t have a lot of seasonings or flavor. My mind has officially been changed today! This is the best chicken salad! It has a lot of flavor and I have been sneaking bites of it all day. My kids both give it a thumbs up!
I served mine on whole wheat hamburger buns but if you want to get fancy you can serve it on croissants. If you’re trying to watch your carb intake you can serve it over a bed of lettuce.
I like the idea of this chicken salad because it’s something that can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until you’re ready to serve it. You can serve it with chips and raw veggies. I do believe that the grapes are not optional, even though I wrote optional in the recipe. The reason? The savory and sweet play well off of each other. Without the grapes it just seemed like something was missing.
Try out this easy instant pot/slow cooker chicken salad sandwich recipe this week! You won’t be disappointed.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Chicken Salad I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top. For the slow cooker version, I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.* I love this slow cooker. It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.Print
Chicken is pressure cooked quickly or slow cooked and then tossed with the best chicken salad dressing to make a fantastic topping for a bed of lettuce, a bun or croissant.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 green onions, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- Optional: 1 cup halved grapes (green or purple)
- Optional: 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Cook the chicken
- For the Instant Pot. Place chicken in Instant Pot and pour in the water. Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes (or 12 minutes for frozen chicken). Let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. Place the chicken on a cutting board and roughly chop it. (I used this chopper* and it worked great.) Put the chicken in an airtight container and set in the fridge to cool. Discard the water in the pot.
- For the Slow Cooker. Place chicken in the slow cooker and pour in the water. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Remove the lid. Place the chicken on a cutting board and roughly chop it. (I used this chopper* and it worked great.) Put the chicken in an airtight container and set in the fridge to cool. Discard the water in the slow cooker.
- Prepare the dressing. In a small bowl stir together the mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, dill, parsley, mustard, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Chop. Chop and prepare the green onions, celery, grapes and almonds.
- Stir it all together. Once chicken is cooled stir everything all together until chicken is well coated. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve. Serve the chicken on a bed of lettuce, on buns or on croissants.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe (just chicken salad)
- Calories: 419
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 335 mg
- Fat: 26 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Protein: 38 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Chicken Salad? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.