This cheesy and creamy chicken casserole with tortillas and Rotel has its roots in Texas but that doesn’t mean us non-Texans can’t enjoy it too! Whip up my version in just a few minutes using your Instant Pot and NO cream of soups!
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 oz) can rotel (I used mild)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 11 (6 inch) soft corn tortillas, cut or torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Sour cream, for topping
- Sliced avocados, for topping
- Add broth, onions and chicken into the Instant Pot. Dump the rotel on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and salt over the chicken.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes for small chicken breasts, 15 minutes for large chicken breasts (if frozen add 3 minutes to each of the times). When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Place chicken on a cutting board. Shred or dice into pieces. Add the chicken back into the Instant Pot. Add the bell pepper into the Instant Pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. In a bowl stir together the half and half and the cornstarch together until smooth. Stir the mixture into the Instant Pot. It should thicken up shortly.
- Add in the tortillas and the cheese. Stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop onto serving dishes and top with cilantro and a dollop of sour cream and avocados.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American