Instant Pot Madras Lentils with Ground Beef–lentils, red beans and spices simmered in a creamy tomato sauce. Serve like a chili or over rice.
Get the SLOW COOKER recipe here
Instant Pot Madras Lentils with Ground Beef
When I was at Costco the other day I saw a package of something called Madras Lentils. They looked so good but I didn’t purchase them. Instead I thought to myself, “I bet I can make those from scratch in the Instant Pot.”
I researched a little online and came up with this Instant Pot madras lentils with ground beef recipe. Pretty sure original madras lentils are supposed to be vegetarian but I’m also pretty sure my family would revolt if there wasn’t just a little meat involved.
I love the addition of a little bit of half and half. It makes these lentils just a little creamy. The flavor isn’t too spicy. But if you’re worried you could leave out the jalapeno. You can also cool it down with a dollop of sour cream.
The leftovers are even better than the first day. The flavors get even more married. Try these lentils soon. I think you’ll really enjoy!
More recipes that you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Madras Lentils with Ground Beef I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Lentils, red beans and spices simmered in a creamy tomato sauce. Serve like a chili or over rice.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno, minced (seeds and pith removed)
- 1 Tbsp garlic
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils
- 1 (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Toppings: grated cheese and diced green onions
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground beef and break it up. Add in the onion and jalapeno. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add in the broth and deglaze the pot. Then add in the paprika, cumin, coriander, ginger, sugar, salt, pepper, beans and lentils. Stir. Then dump the tomato sauce, tomato paste on top. Don’t stir.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up perform a quick release by moving the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the vinegar and the half and half. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve plain, like a chili, or on top of rice with grated cheddar and diced green onions.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Indian
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.