Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken—this cheesy and creamy chicken casserole with tortillas and Rotel has its roots in Texas but that doesn’t mean us non-Texans can’t enjoy it too! Whip up my version with your slow cooker and NO cream of soups!
Get the INSTANT POT King Ranch Chicken recipe here
Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken
From what I’ve read King Ranch Chicken is one of those casseroles that is at every potluck in Texas. I’m not sure about that but what I do know is that my version is super yummy and has no cream of soups and makes an excellent weeknight dinner. My version has Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles), corn tortillas, a few spices, chicken and lots of cheese.
The corn tortillas are added in right at the end so they don’t get mushy. Usually I’m not a fan of corn tortillas but for this recipe they are a must. If you use flour tortillas they get gummy. Plus if you’re serving someone who needs to eat gluten free the corn tortillas make that easy.
I know this isn’t the prettiest thing to look at but it sure tastes good. And the leftovers taste great too. Try out this Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken this week!
More Slow Cooker Recipes…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stove top function. This is perfect for sauteing or browning before you slow cook. This slow cooker has four manual cooking functions: slow cook, stove top sear/Saute, steam, and bake.
This cheesy and creamy chicken casserole with tortillas and Rotel has its roots in Texas but that doesn’t mean us non-Texans can’t enjoy it too! Whip up my version with your slow cooker and NO cream of soups!
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 oz) can rotel (I used mild)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 11 (6 inch) soft corn tortillas, cut or torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Sour cream, for topping
- Add broth, onion, chicken, rotel, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and salt into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Place chicken on a cutting board. Shred or dice into pieces. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker to high. In a bowl stir together the half and half and the cornstarch together until smooth. Stir the mixture into the slow cooker. It should thicken up shortly.
- Add in the tortillas and the cheese. Stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop onto serving dishes and top with cilantro and a dollop of sour cream.
I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.*
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.