Slow Cooker Cheesy Bacon Cauliflower–a slow cooker cauliflower side dish that is enveloped in a velvety mozzarella cheese sauce and topped with crispy, crumbled bacon.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Bacon Cauliflower
Lately I’ve seen so many cauliflower recipes floating about. People seem to love the idea of cauliflower substituted for a higher calorie, carb-loaded side dish like rice. (In fact here is a great article about the 28 Science Backed Health Benefits of Cauliflower). For this Slow Cooker Cheesy Bacon Cauliflower recipe I’m keeping the cauliflower as cauliflower but I’m adding a delicious cheese sauce and bacon. I used a bag of cauliflower florets from Costco so that kept prep time down and then I whipped up a cheese sauce on the stove top. I prefer to make my own cheese sauce as opposed to using a can of cream of cheddar soup, or something similar. It just takes a few ingredients that I usually have on hand and only a couple of minutes. I also just used a package of real crumbled bacon instead of frying it up at home. This is an easy side dish and my whole family loved it.
Slow Cooker Side Dish Recipes
You slow cooker isn’t just for soups and roasts. Use it for side dishes and potluck dishes to share! Here are some of my favorite crockpot side dish recipes:
What kind of slow cooker did you use?
For this recipe, I used my 3 quart Casserole Crock. I love the casserole crock because it’s the size of a 9×13 pan but in the form of a slow cooker. The insert is oven safe which means you can easily finish off a slow cooker recipe in the oven. This comes in handy for a peach cobbler (to brown the topping) or to melt cheese on a casserole. It can also be handy to cook something in the oven and then keep it warm in the slow cooker.Print
A slow cooker cauliflower side dish that is enveloped in a velvety mozzarella cheese sauce and topped with crispy, crumbled bacon.
- 2 lbs cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella, divided
- 3 oz bacon crumbles
- Place cauliflower florets in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Add the milk all at once and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove the pan from the heat and add 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Whisk until smooth. Pour the mixture over the cauliflower and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for about 3-4 hours.
- Stir in the bacon. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!