Slow Cooker Recipe for Cheesy Green Sauce Enchilada Brown Rice: this crockpot side dish is good enough to be a main dish! Creamy and cheesy rice and corn that’s almost risotto-like with just a little kick of flavor thanks to green enchilada sauce and green chiles.
I love making brown rice in the slow cooker and better yet brown rice that is packed with delicious southwestern flare. The brown rice simmers in a can of green enchilada sauce and the rice gets infused with that enchilada flavor. I added a can of corn for a texture and some green chiles for more flavor. Of course when the rice was cooked through I stirred in grated cheddar cheese and a little bit of lime juice to brighten it up. I ate my bowl of rice with some leftover rotisserie chicken and it was a nice little meal. My avocados weren’t ripe when I ate my rice but I think sliced avocados would be perfect with this rice.
Love using your slow cooker in the summer? Get my e-book 100 Days of Slow Cooker Summer now and stay cool this summer and still eat delicious dinners every night. With over 100 recipes, all with pictures, you’ll be set for dinner planning. View the entire table of contents and get a sneak peak inside the book here.
Buy it now for only $6.00 (just use the discount code SUMMER at checkout)!
Want more awesome crockpot side dish ideas?
- Savory Baked Beans
- Cheesy Potatoes and Chives
- Mashed Cauliflower with Garlic and Parmesan Cheese
- Homemade Rice A Roni
- Crockpot Cornbread
- Cheesy Corn and Peppers
And more slow cooker sides from other food bloggers:
- Potatoes Au Gratin from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Brown Butter Carrots from The Food Charlatan
- Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans and Bacon from The Magical Slow Cooker
I made this Cheesy Enchilada Rice in my 3 quart Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker. The best thing about this slow cooker is that it cooks evenly and it is so inexpensive. I like to use it to cook desserts and side dishes.
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up here. I usually send out 1-2 new recipes per week. And you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
Yields 6 servings
Slow Cooker Recipe for Cheesy Green Sauce Enchilada Brown Rice: this crockpot side dish is good enough to be a main dish! Creamy and cheesy rice and corn that's almost risotto-like with just a little kick of flavor thanks to green enchilada sauce and green chiles.
10 minPrep Time
4 hrCook Time
4 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 oz) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can green chiles
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Optional toppings: cilantro, sour cream and avocado slices
- Add rice, water, enchilada sauce, chiles, corn, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until rice is soft and cooked through. (Mine cooked for 3 hours and 48 minutes).
- Stir in cheddar and lime juice. Add extra seasonings to taste, if needed.
- Serve rice with desired toppings.
I used my 3 quart slow cooker for this recipe. I find that filling your slow cooker at least 2/3 full is the best way for slow cooker recipes to work out. I like this slow cooker from hamilton beach.
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies at no cost to you. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!