Instant Pot Coconut Rice—fragrant, creamy coconut rice makes a perfect side dish to Asian main dishes, stir fry or curry. Super fast and easy to make with the help of your pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Coconut Rice
Last week when I made Instant Pot Kalua Pork I wanted to make a rice dish to serve alongside it. I decided to try my hand at coconut rice. It was such an easy process and I’m in love with the subtle coconut flavor of this rice.
What is coconut milk?
You can find coconut milk in the Asian section of your grocery store. It comes in a can, like evaporated milk. Don’t confuse it with Coco Lopez, cream of coconut (a sweet drink mixer), or coconut water. Coconut milk can be quite thick so shake it up well before adding it into the Instant Pot. I use the full fat coconut milk for full flavor.
What kind of rice should I use?
For this recipe you can use jasmine rice, long grain white rice or, my favorite, parboiled rice. Don’t confuse parboiled rice with pre-cooked or minute rice. Parboiled rice has been processed in its husk by soaking, steaming, and drying. As a result, all the nutrients from the husk are absorbed into the grain before it’s removed. The starch content alters in the process, making cooked parboiled rice less sticky than regular white rice. The rice kernels aren’t clumpy and glued together instead they are more separated. I found a bag of parboiled rice at Walmart next to the normal long grain white rice.
What to serve with coconut rice
Coconut rice pairs so nicely with so many dishes! Here are some of my favorites:
- Instant Pot Chicken Veggie Korma
- Instant Pot Cashew Chicken
- Instant Pot Mango Salsa Chicken
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Adobo
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Salmon
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
Fragrant, creamy coconut rice makes a perfect side dish to Asian main dishes, stir fry or curry. Super fast and easy to make with the help of your pressure cooker.
- 1 cup water
- 1 (13.25 oz) can coconut milk
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice, jasmine rice or parboiled rice
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- Optional: 1-2 tsp coconut oil
- Add water to the Instant Pot. Shake up the can of coconut milk well before opening it and adding it into the pot.
- Place rice in a mesh strainer and rinse the rice for a minute under cold water. Shake off excess water and add the rice into the pot. Add in the sea salt and optional coconut oil.
- Cover the Instant Pot and lock the lid into place. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then remove the lid.
- Serve rice and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this recipe in your 8 or 3 quart pot with no changes.
- Category: Side
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.