Instant Pot Cashew Chicken–this cashew chicken is just as good as your favorite Chinese restaurant. It’s super easy and flavorful and it’s all made in the comfort of your own kitchen. The instant pot speeds up the process and helps get dinner on the table in minutes.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Cashew Chicken
When I cooked every day for a year in my slow cooker I came across many wonderful slow cooker recipes. The slow cooker cashew chicken was one of my family’s favorite. Now that I have an Instant Pot I wanted to see if I could make cashew chicken in the pressure cooker to speed things up a bit for those days when I haven’t planned ahead. I changed a few things around in the recipe to account for the differences in IP and the slow cooker. It turned out really nicely. We served ours over rice with a side of broccoli.
Can I use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs? I love using trimmed chicken thighs for this recipe because they are so moist, tender and succulent. It makes the cashew chicken taste like something you’d eat at a chinese restaurant. However, I know there are some of you that do not like dark meat and will want to use chicken breasts. You can use chicken breasts. Just cut them into bite size pieces and use a 5 minute pressure cooking time with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
I don’t think there is enough liquid to bring the pot to pressure. Yes, this recipe doesn’t call for a lot of liquid. Only a little soy sauce and rice vinegar. However chicken releases liquid when it’s cooked. For every pound of chicken ½ cup to 1 full cup of liquid is released. I have not had issues with this recipe coming to pressure or getting the burn signal. However, if you’re worried about the Instant Pot coming to pressure you can always use the pot-in-pot method. Just get an oven safe dish* and put the ingredients inside it and place it in your instant pot on top of a trivet. Then pour a cup of water in the bottom of the pot. Add about 5 extra minutes to the cooking time for this method.
Try these other Asian Instant Pot recipes…
Instant Pot Beef Fried Rice
Instant Pot Chicken Lo Mein
Instant Pot Sesame Beef with Zucchini
Instant Pot Egg Roll BowlsPrint
This cashew chicken is just as good as your favorite Chinese restaurant. It’s super easy and flavorful and it’s all made in the comfort of your own kitchen. The instant pot speeds up the process and helps get dinner on the table in minutes.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger (fresh)
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/3 cup cashews
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Use kitchen shears to cut all excess fat off the chicken thighs. Then cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Place them in the Instant Pot.
- Add in the pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and red pepper. Stir to really coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Cover the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is set to “sealing.” Set the manual/pressure cook button to 6 minutes on high pressure. When the timer goes off let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Once you can remove the lid, do so. In a small bowl stir together the cornstarch and water. Stir the slurry into the instant pot. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute function. The sauce will thicken in just a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the cashews. Serve chicken topped with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes (plus 10 minute NPR)
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Asian
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!