Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken—This easy chicken teriyaki recipe uses a homemade sauce made with pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and ginger. It has the perfect balance of sweet and savory. You can even use frozen chicken! Make it a meal by serving it with rice, pineapple chunks and shredded cabbage.
Get the SLOW COOKER teriyaki chicken recipe here
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
Today I am sad. The reason? Because we ate all of this teriyaki chicken and there is none left. I shouldn’t fret though because I can make it again in just a few minutes and even pull frozen chicken out of my freezer without thawing it. I absolutely loved the combination of bites of tender chicken with the rice, cabbage and sweet pineapple. It was a winner!
I used a combination of chicken thighs and chicken breasts for this recipe. This is my preference because you get the best of both worlds–the healthier white meat chicken with the tender dark meat chicken. I used about 1 ½ pounds of thighs and 1 pound of breasts. If you’d like, you can just use one or the other.
Can I cook my chicken and rice at the same time? My goal was to actually do this but my chicken was frozen and was too bulky to fit my pot-in-pot rice into the Instant Pot. If you’re using a larger 8 quart pot or if you are using thawed chicken you should be able to make pot-in-pot rice.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes…
See all my Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
This easy chicken teriyaki recipe uses a homemade sauce made with pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and ginger. It has the perfect balance of sweet and savory. You can even use frozen chicken!
- 2 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs and breasts (a combination is best in my opinion)
- 1 (20 oz) can sliced pineapple in pineapple juice
- ⅓ cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic cloves
- 1 ½ tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Optional items for teriyaki bowls: cooked rice, shredded cabbage, smashed avocado, sriracha sauce
- Add chicken into the Instant Pot (frozen chicken is okay).
- Open the can of pineapple and pour ¼ cup of the juice into a bowl. Set the pineapple aside for later. Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, sriracha and sesame oil into the bowl with the pineapple juice. Stir together. Pour the mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Spoon the brown sugar over the top of the chicken.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 17 minutes for thawed chicken or 20 minutes for frozen chicken. When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Shred up the chicken and then stir it into the juices.
- Serve the chicken in a bowl with rice, pineapple, smashed avocado, cabbage and a drizzle of sriracha.
Recipe adapted from Design Mom
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.