Instant Pot Chicken Adobo–an easy 6-ingredient recipe for the tastiest chicken ever! A Filipino recipe of tender chicken thighs braised in vinegar and soy sauce with lots of garlic.
Get the SLOW COOKER chicken adobo recipe here
Instant Pot Chicken Adobo
I can’t believe that I’ve never made chicken adobo before. To tell you the truth I didn’t even know what it was until yesterday. For some reason I imagined chicken adobo as chicken surrounded with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Turns out I was seriously wrong.
Chicken adobo is a Filipino dish of chicken pieces marinated in a sauce of vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaves and peppercorns. Believe me it’s much better than it sounds. The taste is tangy, salty and somewhat sweet. My husband had one bite of the chicken and said dramatically, “Oh. My. GOSH!” He was shocked at how much flavor it had. I was too. The main problem with this chicken is that there is never enough.
This version of chicken adobo is made in the trusty Instant Pot. The Instant Pot works so well for this recipe. You don’t have to pre-marinate the chicken if you don’t want. I even threw my chicken in frozen. Plus you can reduce the sauce after the chicken has cooked by using the saute button. And you can make pot-in-pot rice at the same time. Winning.
Chicken adobo is traditionally made with bone-in chicken. You can use bone-in chicken or boneless thighs, like I did. The thighs came out fall-apart tender. For this particular recipe I personally wouldn’t use chicken breasts. They just don’t come out as tender as the darker meats. But I know there will some of you that will still want to use chicken breasts so I’ll put the directions in the recipe below.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes You’ll Love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Chicken Adobo I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
An easy 6-ingredient recipe for the tastiest chicken ever! A Filipino recipe of tender chicken thighs braised in vinegar and soy sauce with lots of garlic.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 3 pounds bone-in chicken)
- ½ cup white distilled vinegar
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed (smashed with the side of a knife and peeled)
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- Add vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, peppercorns and bay leaves into Instant Pot. Nestle the chicken into the pot.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Place chicken pieces on a platter (if using bone-in chicken leave it in the pot and turn it skin side down). Turn Instant Pot to saute mode. Let the sauce simmer and reduce for 7 minutes (I didn’t stir, I just set a timer and walked away). Turn off saute mode. Add chicken back in with the sauce and stir to coat the chicken in the sauce.
- Serve chicken with rice and sauce.
This recipe works well with pot-in-pot rice. White Rice, Jasmine, Basmati, all work well. For more information on how to make pot-in-pot rice see this article/video.
For this particular recipe I personally wouldn’t use chicken breasts. They just don’t come out as tender as the darker meats. But I know there will some of you that will still want to use chicken breasts. Cook for 12 minutes for thawed breasts and 15 minutes for frozen breasts.
To make gluten free: Use a gluten free soy sauce or tamari.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Filipino
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.