Kentucky Potatoes–o’brien potatoes in a creamy sauce with cheese. These easy 6-ingredient potatoes can be made in the Instant Pot, Crockpot or the oven.
Wow-eee! These potatoes are so tasty! Plus they only take a handful of ingredients and about 5 minutes of prep time. These potatoes are perfect side dish to a ham, turkey or grilled meat dinner. They can also be served as a breakfast casserole at a brunch.
I found the idea for these recipes at Happy Home Fairy. The original recipe called for a ton more sour cream and cream of potato soup. Honestly I think my version was plenty creamy and I didn’t miss the extra stuff at all.
You can make this recipe however you’d like…in the Instant Pot, Crockpot or oven. I made mine in the Instant Pot with an air fryer lid.
- Frozen o’brien potatoes with onions and peppers–you can also use plain frozen hashbrowns
- Campbells cream of potato soup–or cream of chicken
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Sour cream
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese–or another cheese of your choice
Add potatoes, cream of potato soup, garlic powder, pepper, salt and sour cream into Instant Pot. Stir well.
If you have an air fryer lid: use the bake button at 350 for 20 minutes. Then stir in the cheese and bake for 10 more minutes. If you don’t have an air fryer lid: turn Instant Pot to the slow cook “more” or “high” setting and set it to 2 hours. Stir in the cheese and slow cook for another 30 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
- Serve as a side dish to dinner or as a brunch side dish. These potatoes taste good with grilled meats or ham and a side of roasted broccoli.
- I used my Duo Crisp 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in a 3 or 8 quart pot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Other recipes you can make with sour cream are Instant Pot Monterey Spaghetti and Rodeo Casserole.
More Potato Recipes to Try…
Instant Pot or Crockpot Easter Potatoes are a perfect side dish for your turkey, ham or chicken Easter dinner. With only 5 main ingredients these potatoes are prepped in just a few minutes. Everyone loves these potatoes!
Instant Pot Star Wars Potatoes
Buttery, well-seasoned, diced red and yellow potatoes. Make them fast in your Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Millionaire Potatoes
Creamy garlic mashed potatoes topped with gruyere cheese. Tastes like a million bucks!
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
O’brien potatoes in a creamy sauce with cheese. These easy 6-ingredient potatoes can be made in the Instant Pot, Crockpot or the oven.
- 1 (26 oz) bag frozen o’brien potatoes with onions and peppers
- 1 (10.5 oz) can Campbells cream of potato soup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Add potatoes, cream of potato soup, garlic powder, pepper, salt and sour cream into Instant Pot. Stir well.
- If you have an air fryer lid: use the bake button at 350 for 20 minutes. Then stir in the cheese and bake for 10 more minutes. If you don’t have an air fryer lid: turn Instant Pot to the slow cook “more” or “high” setting and set it to 2 hours. Stir in the cheese and slow cook for another 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Add all ingredients into slow cooker and stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until hot and bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!
- In a large bowl stir all ingredients together.
- Add to a greased 9×9 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 325 for 1 hour. Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Side
- Method: Instant Pot/Slow Cooker/Oven
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.