Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Green Chiles–super easy recipe for macaroni and cheese that’s spiced up with a can of green chiles and made in your electric pressure cooker.
Click here for the slow cooker version of this recipe
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Green Chiles
Sometimes you just need a big pot of mac and cheese in your life. Today was one of those days. I have been meaning to see how mac and cheese would turn out in the Instant Pot. And it worked out really well. And although stovetop mac is super easy to make sometimes it’s nice just to load everything in a pot and walk away while you’re busy with other things.
I ended up setting the timer to manual for 4 minutes and then let the pressure release naturally for 3 minutes before I turned the valve to venting. I did have a little foaming happen…if this happens to you just move the valve back to “sealing” and then try to vent again in 20 seconds. I added a little bit of hot sauce to my macaroni and cheese because I just felt it added some zing.
Love Mac and Cheese? Here are some recipes that may interest you…
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Smoked Sausage from Buns in my Oven
Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese from Nutmeg Nanny
What Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Did You Use?
For this Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Green Chiles I used this Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker. It’s 6 quarts, so the same size as most slow cookers. It cost me around $80 on Amazon. When I made a similar recipe in the slow cooker I used this 6 quart KitchenAid Slow Cooker.
Send Me Free Recipes
If you’d like to see all the new recipes that I’m making sign up to receive my emails below! This is a free service and you can unsubscribe at any time.
- 8 oz (2 cups) uncooked macaroni noodles
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (4 oz) can green chiles
- 5 oz (about 1 1/2 cups) grated sharp cheddar
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Hot sauce, optional
- Lightly spray the bottom of your Instant Pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place macaroni, water, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and green chiles in the pot.
- Cover the pot and turn the valve to “sealing.” Set to manual and set timer to 4 minutes. When the timer beeps let it count up for 3 minutes.
- Gently turn the valve in between “sealing” and “venting.” If any foam comes out then turn the valve back to sealing and keep it there for 20 seconds. Then try to release the pressure again. Do this until all the pressure is release. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the cheeses until melted. Scoop into bowls and serve with hot sauce, if desired.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!