Instant Pot Green Chile Chicken Orzo Soup–a creamy chicken soup with orzo and green chiles. It’s got cream cheese and avocados for creaminess and lots of flavor from diced green chiles and salsa verde. An easy dump and go recipe.
Get the SLOW COOKER Green Chile Chicken Orzo Soup recipe here
Instant Pot Green Chile Chicken Orzo Soup
This soup is super tasty! My whole family loved the creaminess of the soup but also how much flavor it had. The green chiles give lots of flavor without giving a lot of heat. The chicken gets super tender and shreds easily.
I loved how I could throw everything into the pot and then walk away. I used frozen chicken too. That is my favorite thing ever!
The diced avocados were a perfect topping. You could also add a little cilantro and grated cheddar to the top of each bowl.
More Instant Pot soup recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Green Chile Chicken Orzo Soup I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top. You can also make this soup in the 8 quart Instant Pot with no changes. You can halve this recipe and make it in the 3 quart pot. Keep the same cooking time.Print
A creamy chicken soup with orzo and green chiles. It’s got cream cheese and avocados for creaminess and lots of flavor from diced green chiles and salsa verde. An easy dump and go recipe.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa verde (I used La Victoria brand medium heat)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs (frozen is okay)
- 2 (4 oz) cans mild diced green chiles
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- ¾ tsp smoked paprika
- ¾ cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 8 oz cream cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Diced avocados
- Set the cream cheese on the counter so that it can come to room temperature.
- Add broth, salsa verde, black beans, chicken, green chiles, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and smoked paprika to the Instant Pot.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the soup button (or manual/pressure cook button) to 10 minutes for chicken breasts and 12 minutes for chicken thighs.
- When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board.
- Add in the cream cheese and the uncooked orzo (see note) and set the pot to the saute setting. Use the adjust button to adjust the saute setting to “less.” Let the orzo cook and the cream cheese melt for about 5 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Shred the chicken or cut it into bite size pieces and add it back into the pot.
- Once the orzo is cooked through taste test and salt and pepper to taste. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve topped with avocados.
Another option is to cook the orzo on the stove top during the natural pressure release time. This will take less time overall but you’ll have one extra pot to wash 🙂
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also make this soup in the 8 quart Instant Pot with no changes. You can halve this recipe and make it in the 3 quart pot. Keep the same cooking time.
Gluten free option: to make this soup gluten free leave out the orzo. You could substitute the orzo with cooked rice. I haven’t tried it yet but think it would also work to add a half cup of uncooked rice into the pot and let it pressure cook.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: instant pot
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Green Chile Chicken Orzo Soup? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.