Chuck roast is the best kind of beef to cook in the slow cooker so it stands to reason that it’s the best cut of beef to cook in the pressure cooker as well. It has a lot of collagen in it and really benefits from the moist environment. The Instant Pot is sort of like a fast slow cooker. Many of the foods that do well in the slow cooker rock in the Instant Pot. Chuck roast is one cut of beef that I see on sale semi-regularly at Smith’s. So when it hits $2.99 per pound or less then grab it up and make some of these awesome Instant Pot beef recipes for dinner this week. In the words of a famous commercial…”beef it’s what’s for dinner.”
Related: Click here for 20 ways to use chuck roast in the SLOW COOKER.
13 22 Ways to Use Chuck Roast in the Instant Pot
6/8/18 Note: Since I first wrote this post a year ago I’ve added several more chuck roast recipes to my repertoire. I’ve added them to the list.
Instant Pot French Onion French Dip Sandwiches–The French dip sandwich is a hot beef sandwich consisting of tender thin slices of beef layered a long white French roll that is dipped into a flavorful sauce made from the pan juices. It is a staple at any diner in America. My recipe is a mash-up between French Onion Soup and the French Dip Sandwich. Soft onions are piled along with the beef and cheese on a crusty roll.
Instant Pot Beef Ragu–tender chunks of beef are braised in a tomato based sauce and tossed with pasta. A super easy recipe to make for any night of the week.
Instant Pot Mississippi Roast Gyros–tender shredded beef that has been cooked in pepperoncini juice is piled into a soft pita and then topped with monterey jack cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
Instant Pot Beef and Cheddar Sandwiches–the easiest recipe to make ever. With only 5 ingredients total (beef, broth, onion soup mix, cheddar and sandwich buns) you may be thinking that this recipe is just too easy to taste good. Well, you’re wrong 🙂 The flavor is amazing and your family will be asking for seconds.
Instant Pot Mississippi Roast (no packets)–with just a handful of ingredients and an hour in the Instant Pot you can make the best roast of your life. This particular recipe has no packets of ranch or au jus like the original recipe calls for. The meat is slightly spicy and infused with flavor. This roast is perfect served with mashed potatoes or on a crusty roll as a sandwich.
Pressure Cooker Korean Beef Tacos—tender shredded seasoned beef is rolled up in a warm tortilla with crunchy cabbage, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, sriracha sour cream and a splash of roasted garlic seasoned rice vinegar. When you bite into this taco it’s like a party in your mouth. All the flavors and textures come together in a perfect union.
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli–tender pieces of beef are served alongside broccoli and a savory and slightly sweet Asian sauce for a homemade version of your favorite Chinese takeout dish.
Instant Pot 5-Ingredient Pot Roast Dinner–a chuck roast is cooked until moist and tender in an hour in your Instant Pot (mine was frozen!) along with seasoned vegetables. The meal is finished off with homemade gravy.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff–a super easy recipe for beef and mushrooms with a zippy sour cream sauce made quickly in the pressure cooker.
1. Instant Pot Beef Gyros–Tender pieces of beef with soft onions, juicy tomatoes, crisp lettuce, creamy cucumber yogurt sauce all wrapped up in soft, melt in your mouth pita bread. The beef is cooked until tender in your electric pressure cooker in less than an hour.
2. Instant Pot Beef Pot Pie–tender, bite size pieces of beef stew meat encompassed in a flavorful sauce with peas and topped with a crispy pie crust.
3. Instant Pot 3 Packet Roast–a super easy and fast way to make an incredibly tender and flavored roast. You’ll just need a packet of ranch, Italian dressing mix and brown gravy along with a chuck roast for this recipe. If you prefer to make homemade versions of these “packets” I have those recipes for you too!
4. Instant Pot Classic Pot Roast and Potatoes–A classic pot roast and potatoes recipe made faster and more delicious in the pressure cooker via Pressure Cooking Today
5. Gluten Free/Paleo Instant Pot Beef Stew–Ready in under an hour, it’ll taste as if had been cooking ALL day long via Tasty Yummies.
6. Pressure Cooker Beef and Broccoli–Tender, thin-sliced beef and broccoli in a rich sauce that is salty and sweet with just a little heat from the red pepper flakes. Cooking inexpensive beef chuck in the pressure cooker tenderizes the meat, so it’s not tough and chewy like stir fried beef and broccoli can often be via Pressure Cooking Today.
7. Instant Pot Chipotle Shredded Beef–Tender and flavorful, this pressure cooker Chipotle Shredded Beef has just the right amount of spice and is perfect for tacos or burritos. And you can’t beat the cooking time via Taste and Tell.
8. Instant Pot Beef Dip Sandwiches–Tender chuck roast is pressure cooked in a savory bath of beef broth, water and soy sauce along with some seasonings to produce one heck of a sandwich via What’s Cookin’ Chicago.
9. Instant Pot Mississippi Coke Roast–This Mississippi roast uses a soda (coke) as liquid instead of the pepper juice. The sweetness of the coke really balances the tanginess from the other ingredients via Aunt Bee’s Recipes.
10. Instant Pot Barbecue Beef Roast–Your Instant Pot can make a tough chuck roast into tender, shredded barbecue beef as quickly as 90 minutes, start to finish. Compare this pressure cooker time to 4 hours on high in a slow cooker! Use on sandwiches, over rice, or as a Paleo main dish with lots of veggies via Kitchen Stewardship.
11. Instant Pot Asian Pot Roast–If you love a good pot roast but are looking for a new twist on it, you’ve got to give this Asian Pot Roast a try! via Lauren Greutman
12. Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches–Tender chucks of beef roast with melty provolone cheese piled high on a toasted garlic bread roll via No. 2 Pencil.
13. Instant Pot Spicy Barbacoa Beef Roast–Full of spicy goodness, it’s perfect over rice for a delicious beef dinner. And you can make it in a slow cooker too! via My Life Cookbook
Am I missing a good Instant Pot recipe that uses chuck roast? Please let me know! I’ll add it to the list.
Send Me Free Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love Instant Pot/Crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
I usually send out 1-2 new recipes per week. And you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
Bridget Wells says
I have a large package of thin sliced chuck steaks. Could I put these in the Instant Pot? Any recommendations on time/temperature for similar results? Thanks!
I would do 20 minutes per inch of thickness for chuck! If you do more than that it will be more tender. So probably 20-30 minutes with a natural pressure release.
Carol Gwynn says
Karen, I am so sorry your husband is having to go through this. We started a similar journey September 2017. My husband had a melanoma tumor in the lymph gland under his chin. He had the surgery, 6 weeks radiation, 1 year immune therapy. Parts were difficult others no so much. Now they do CT scans every 3 months. We have been very blessed and know we are watched over. Wish your family the very best .
I really enjoy your emails and have tried several recipes. I try to keep up with the cooking and like to learn new things. Thank you for all you do. Send my love and prayers.
Thank you so much Carol!
Mike olsen says
I live at 7,000 ft. How much longer would you set instant pot. Thanks , I enjoy your site
Great question! I am at 4000 feet but 7000 is quite a bit more. I am not sure there is a hard and fast rule. You may just need to experiment a little.
Lynn Underwood says
Thank you for all your hard work putting these recipes together! Can’t wait to try several of them, they look really yummy! Once again thank you for all you do I love your emails and recipes.
You’re welcome Lynn!!
i’m looking for an instant pot “steak” chili recipe (ground beef: yuck!). can i adapt a beef stew recipe? i’m a newbie w/the instant pot–it’s actually still in the box! but i make chili ALL THE TIME, and i thought that this might be an ideal *baptismal* recipe as i launch my lifelong journey with the IP! thank you!
Hi! Welcome to the Instant Pot world. If you have a chili recipe that you love you can email it to me and I’ll give you my suggestions on how to make it in the Instant Pot. [email protected]
Thank you for ALL the great recipes you post. I have enjoyed every one that I tried! I sepecially like the Instant Pot ones.
You’re welcome Norma!