Instant Pot Beef Gyros–Tender pieces of beef with soft onions, juicy tomatoes, crisp lettuce, creamy cucumber yogurt sauce all wrapped up in soft, melt in your mouth pita bread. The beef is cooked until tender in your electric pressure cooker in less than an hour.
Instant Pot Beef Gyros
One of my favorite and most popular slow cooker recipes is beef gyros. I wanted to see how the beef would turn out in the Instant Pot. The results were very favorable! First off, I used a roast that I bought at the grocery store and it was packaged as a “cross rib roast.” I find that the best results come from using a “cross rib roast” or a “chuck roast.” I bought a rump roast once and I didn’t think it tasted near as good and it wasn’t as tender.
I went ahead and sliced the meat very thinly. Probably about a quarter inch thick. You can see that there is a bit of marbling and connective tissue in the meat. That will help with the tenderness. The collagen turns to gelatin and makes the meat fork tender.
I went ahead and added in onions, garlic, oregano, lemon juice and bit of oil and then gave it a quick stir. Finally I added in just 1/3 cup of broth and then set the manual timer for 25 minutes. I have been reading a lot about how to get the best results with meat in the Instant Pot and what I’ve found out is that it’s best for the pressure of the pot to release naturally. This means when the pot beeps it’s not done yet! Let the pressure release for about 15 minutes and then open the pot. This will keep the meat much more juicy.
The results were fantastic. Extremely tender meat that is ready to be enveloped by a soft pita and topped with a cucumber yogurt sauce.
You might also like
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Beef Gyros I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Beef Gyros? If you’d like to see all the new recipes that I’m making sign up to receive my emails below! This is a free service and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Tender pieces of beef with soft onions, juicy tomatoes, crisp lettuce, creamy cucumber yogurt sauce all wrapped up in soft, melt in your mouth pita bread. The beef is cooked until tender in your electric pressure cooker in less than an hour.
For the meat
- 1 1/2 lbs beef chuck roast or beef cross rib roast, sliced into thin quarter inch strips across the grain
- 1 large onion, sliced very thinly
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Soft pita bread
For the Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup diced or shredded cucumber, seeded
- 1 Tbsp dried dill or 2 Tbsp fresh dill
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Add beef, onion, oil, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper, lemon juice and broth to the Instant Pot. Cover and turn the valve to “sealing.” Press manual/pressure cook button and set the timer for 25 minutes (high pressure).
- Once the time is up let the pot sit undisturbed for 15 minutes. Then move the valve to venting. Open the pot and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Make the tzatziki sauce. Combine yogurt, cucumber, dill, salt and garlic in medium bowl. Stir until creamy and combined. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve beef over pita folds with Tzatziki sauce, onions, tomatoes, lettuce and feta.
My Instant Pot took 10 minutes to come to pressure, then 25 minutes of cooking time plus 15 minutes of releasing the pressure. So the total time in the pot was 50 minutes.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes + 15 minutes NPR
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe (just the meat)
- Calories: 267
- Sodium: 133 g
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Protein: 23 g
–>>Click here for the SLOW COOKER VERSION of this recipe<<–
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!