Instant Pot 3 Packet Roast–a super easy and fast way to make an incredibly tender and flavored roast. You’ll just need a packet of ranch, Italian dressing mix and brown gravy along with a chuck roast for this recipe. If you prefer to make homemade versions of these “packets” I have those recipes for you too!
Click here for the SLOW COOKER VERSION of this recipe
Instant Pot 3 Packet Roast
Today’s recipe is for an oldie but a goodie. It’s an oldie in the sense that many of you have probably heard of 3-packet roast before but it’s also new in that maybe you’ve never made it in your Instant Pot. This recipe couldn’t be easier to get started. All you need is a 3 pound chuck roast, 2 cups of water and then the 3 packets (ranch, Italian and gravy). One thing I’m learning is that frozen roast doesn’t do great in the Instant Pot (insert sad face here). So make sure to take the roast out of the freezer the day before if you’re going to make this. Or just buy one fresh from the store. You’ll place the roast in the bottom of the Instant Pot, mix the packets with some water and pour the mixture over the roast and close up the pot. If you want to take a few minutes to brown the roast using the sauté function and a little bit of oil I’m sure that would add a lot of flavor. I didn’t do it (too lazy) but if you want to go for it!
Ways to use chuck roast
So chuck roast is on sale at your local grocery store? Here are some other ways to use it up!
Pressure Cooker Balsamic Roast Beef Recipe from Add A Pinch
Slow Cooker French Onion Pot Roast from The Little Kitchen
What Instant Pot Did You Use?
For this Instant Pot 3 Packet Roast recipe I used this Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker. It’s 6 quarts, so the same size as most slow cookers. It cost me around $80 on Amazon.
Send Me Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love Crockpot and Instant Pot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up here. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
Click here for the SLOW COOKER VERSION of this recipePrint
A super easy and fast way to make an incredibly tender and flavored roast. You’ll just need a packet of ranch, Italian dressing mix and brown gravy along with a chuck roast for this recipe. If you prefer to make homemade versions of these “packets” I have those recipes for you too!
For the roast
- 3 lbs chuck roast (trimmed of excess fat)
- 3 Tbsp ranch dressing mix (recipe below)
- 2 Tbsp gravy mix (recipe below)
- 2 Tbsp Italian dressing mix (recipe below)
- 2 cups water
For the ranch dressing mix
- 1/3 cup dry buttermilk powder
- 3 Tbsp parsley flakes
- 2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried minced onion
- 2 tsp dried dill weed
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
For the gravy mix
- 3 Tbsp beef bouillon granules
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
For the Italian dressing mix
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp salt
- To make the roast place the roast in the bottom of the Instant Pot*. In a bowl whisk the water together with the 3 mixes. Pour the mixture over the roast. Cover the pot and make sure valve is on “sealing.” Set to manual for 60 minutes. The pot will probably take 10-15 minutes to come to pressure, then it will cook for 60 minutes. Once the pot beeps let the pressure release naturally for 15-20 minutes or until you can open the pot. Remove the lid and shred the meat and serve.
- For the ranch dressing mix: Run all the ingredients through a blender or food processer. Pulse about 10 times until all the granules are the same consistency. Store in an airtight container. To make ranch dressing whisk together 3 Tbsp of ranch mix, 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup milk until smooth. Refrigerate for half hour before serving.
- For the gravy mix: Run all the ingredients through a blender or food processor. Pulse about 10 times until all the granules are the same consistency. Store in an airtight container. To make gravy, mix 1/4 cup of mix with 2 cups of milk or water in a saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until smooth and it thickens.
- For the Italian dressing mix: Run all the ingredients through a blender or food processer. Pulse about 10 times until all the granules are the same consistency. Store in an airtight container. To make Italian dressing mix together 1/4 cup cinder vinegar, 2/3 cup olive oil, 2 Tbsp water and 2 Tbsp mix. Store in the refrigerator.
*If you want to brown the roast it will take just a few extra minutes but will make it taste great. Turn the pot to sauté and let it heat up. Heat 2 tsp of oil over
medium-high heat. Brown the roast on each side for 5 minutes. This step is not mandatory but it does make the roast taste better!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!