Instant Pot French Onion French Dip Sandwiches–The French dip sandwich is a hot beef sandwich consisting of tender thin slices of beef layered a long white French roll that is dipped into a flavorful sauce made from the pan juices. It is a staple at any diner in America. My recipe is a mash-up between French Onion Soup and the French Dip Sandwich. Soft onions are piled along with the beef and cheese on a crusty roll.
Click here for the SLOW COOKER version of this recipe
Instant Pot French Onion French Dip Sandwiches
I love cooking chuck roast in my Instant Pot. It turns out so tender in 30 minutes of cooking time (plus time to come to pressure and time to release pressure). This instant pot french onion french dip sandwiches recipe is going to be a perfect summer meal. The onions and beef are cooked in the au jus sauce and get perfectly tender. Then the meat and onions are piled on crusty rolls and topped with melty cheese. I like to serve this meal with a side salad or some corn on the cob and fresh berries.
Instant Pot Sandwich Recipes
Here are some other Instant Pot sandwich recipes that will taste great on a hoagie or whole wheat roll:
Instant Pot Shredded BBQ Cream Cheese Chicken Sandwiches
Instant Pot Beef Gyros
What Instant Pot Did You Use?
For this Instant Pot French Onion French Dip Sandwiches recipes I used this Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker. It’s 6 quarts, so the same size as most slow cookers. It cost me around $80 on Amazon.Print
The French dip sandwich is a hot beef sandwich consisting of tender thin slices of beef layered a long white French roll that is dipped into a flavorful sauce made from the pan juices. It is a staple at any diner in America. My recipe is a mash-up between French Onion Soup and the French Dip Sandwich. Caramelized onions are piled along with the beef and cheese on a crusty roll. Click here for the SLOW COOKER version of this recipe
- 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck steaks, trimmed of excess fat*
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 cups beef broth (or 3 cups water and 3 tsp of Better Than Bouillon Beef Base)
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 2 large yellow onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 large crusty rolls, toasted if you prefer
- 8 slices provolone, Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Place beef** in the Instant Pot. Salt and pepper the beef.
- Add broth, worcestershire, onions***, garlic powder and bay leaf to Instant Pot.
- Cover and set the Instant Pot**** on high pressure, manual for 30 minutes. Make sure valve is on “sealing.”
- Let the pressure release naturally for best results. The meat will be more tender. Remove the beef and place it on a cutting board. Slice or shred the meat.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the juice from the Instant Pot through the strainer and into the bowl. This juice will be your au jus, dipping sauce. The onions, in the strainer will be used on top of your sandwiches. Discard the bay leaf.
- Add meat back into the Instant Pot. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pile meat on top of rolls and use tongs to place onions on top of meat. Place a slice of cheese on top of the onions. If desired, place the roll with meat and cheese under the broiler so the cheese will melt. Serve sandwiches with a side of the reserved au jus.
*You can also use beef chuck roast in place of the chuck steaks. Just quarter the roast before adding it to the Instant Pot. **For a more developed, meaty flavor you can brown the roast before adding it to the Instant Pot. Turn on the saute function to high on the Instant Pot. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add the meat and sear on all sides until each side has a brown crust. ***If you want a more developed flavor, caramelize the onions on the stovetop (or in your Instant Pot) before adding them to the slow cooker. Coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil. Heat the pan on medium high heat. Add the onion slices and stir to coat the onions with the oil. Spread the onions out evenly over the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally. The onions will develop a brown color. ****I used my Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker for this recipe.
- Method: Instant Pot
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 780
- Sodium: 1041 mg
- Fat: 49.3 grams
- Carbohydrates: 30.6 grams
- Protein: 52.6 grams
- Cholesterol: 165 mg
Send Me Free Instant Pot Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love Instant Pot and crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!