Trash Can Nachos–a pile of layered nachos with Instant Pot sliced beef, homemade (easy!) cheese sauce and all the fixings. A FUN family dinner that you’re going to love.
Trash Can Nachos
Apparently at Guy Fieri’s restaurant, El Burro Borracho, he serves something called Trash Can Nachos that are served in a mini trash can. It’s layers upon layers of chips, cheese sauce and all the good stuff when it comes to nachos. My version is not quite as elaborate but still tastes, oh, so good!
The key to these nachos is the amazing homemade cheese sauce. It is so much better than any queso you could buy at the store. The hardest part of making the cheese sauce is grating the cheese! It comes together in just a couple of minutes. Besides nachos this cheese sauce would be great served over steamed vegetables like broccoli!
The other important part of this recipe is the pickled jalapenos. Normal jalapenos are way to spicy for me but these mild, tamed pickled jalapenos offer a lot of flavor without the heat. They can be found by the pickles at the grocery store.
I used leftover eye of round roast for the meat in this recipe (watch the video below and please subscribe to my YouTube channel). I chopped it up into half inch pieces and then stirred it together with kosher salt, lime juice and garlic powder. The meat tasted so good!
If you’d like to add other nacho toppings you can for sure add them in! Other ideas are pico de gallo, red onions, cilantro, green onions, sliced olives, diced roma tomatoes, avocado or guacamole, pinto beans or refried beans and cotija cheese.
More Nacho Inspired Recipes…
- Irish Potato Nachos
- Instant Pot Greek Nachos
- Instant Pot Beef Nachos Casserole
- Instant Pot Macho Nacho Casserole
- Slow Cooker Nacho Mama’s Chili
- Instant Pot Nacho Chicken
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
A pile of layered nachos with Instant Pot sliced beef, homemade (easy!) cheese sauce and all the fixings. A FUN family dinner that you’re going to love.
For the meat:
- 8 ounces of cooked and chopped eye of round roast (you can also use chopped steak)
- 1 ½ tsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
For the cheese sauce:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup whole milk or evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 Tbsp minced pickled jalapenos
- 1 Tbsp pickled jalapeno juice
- 2 Tbsp Pace Picante Sauce
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of cumin
For the nachos:
- ¼ pound tortilla chips
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup Sliced pickled jalapenos
- ⅓ cup Pace Picante Sauce
- ⅓ cup Sour cream
- Add the chopped meat to a small bowl. Stir in the lime juice, salt and garlic powder. Let sit while you prepare the cheese sauce.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and melt the butter. Slowly whisk in the flour until it’s dissolved. Whisk in the milk slowly. When it starts bubbling whisk in the cheeses until melted. Remove from heat and stir in the jalapenos, juice, picante sauce, cayenne and cumin.
- In a tall bowl, a 110 ounce empty aluminum can, or the 3 quart instant pot liner layer the nachos three times in this order: chips, cheese, steak, beans, jalapenos, picante sauce and sour cream.
- Place a large round plate over the nachos and invert the bowl/can. Slowly lift off the can and you should have a pile of layered nachos.
- Call in the troops and dig in!
This is a great recipe to make with leftover eye of round roast
Pickled jalapenos can be found by the pickles at the grocery store. I buy the mild, tame jalapenos. They add so much flavor without a lot of spice
- Category: Beef
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.