Irish Potato Nachos–-try making nachos with potato wedges or steak fries as the base instead of tortilla chips! You may never go back.
Irish Potato Nachos
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! I hope you’re wearing green or else pinch, pinch, pinch. My daughter pinched me this morning when I was wearing my pajamas. I told her my shirt was turquoise-ish, but she didn’t buy it.
If you’re wanting to try something for dinner tonight that’s different than corned beef and cabbage but maybe a little Irish-esque try these Irish potato nachos.
Instead of using tortilla chips as the base of the nachos potatoes are used. And to make it fast and easy it’s a bag of frozen french fries or frozen potato wedges. For the meat on top of the nachos you can use chopped and cooked corned beef (I unfortunately didn’t have leftovers from my St Patty’s Day Corned Beef) or you can use BBQ chicken (made fast and easy in the Instant Pot).
My favorite toppings for potato nachos are cheese (duh!), Mezzetta Deli-Sliced Tamed Jalapeno Peppers (you can find them in the aisle by the pickles), and bacon crumbles. Other toppings you can include are sour cream, tomatoes, green onions, bell peppers, avocados, red onions, cilantro, etc. Go crazy!
We plopped the sheet plan of nachos on top of our counter and then ate them like scavengers. This is a good recipe to tuck into your brain for future game days too!
More recipe ideas for dinner tonight…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Try making nachos with potato wedges or steak fries as the base instead of tortilla chips! You may never go back.
- 1 ½ pounds (24 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts OR 3 cups chopped and cooked corned beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (28 oz) package frozen steak fries or frozen potato wedges
- ⅓ – ½ cup Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce (or other BBQ sauce of your choice)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup bacon crumbles
- ½ cup Mezzetta Deli-Sliced Tamed Jalapeno Peppers
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup diced green onions
- ¼ cup sour cream
- While potatoes are cooking prepare your chicken (or corned beef). If making chicken, pour 1 cup water into bottom of Instant Pot. Place a trivet in the bottom of the pot. Place chicken breasts on top of the trivet. Salt and pepper the chicken. Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for fresh chicken breasts or 18 minutes for frozen chicken breasts. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, bake the frozen potatoes according to package directions on a baking sheet.
- Slice or shred up the chicken on a cutting board. Remove trivet and water out of Instant Pot. Place chicken into Instant Pot liner. Stir in the BBQ sauce (amount according to taste).
- Once potatoes are done cooking sprinkle them with cheeses, bacon and chicken or corned beef. Place in the oven and cook at 425° F for about 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle the nachos with the peppers, tomatoes and green onions. Spoon sour cream into a plastic baggie and trim off a corner with scissors. Drizzle the sour cream over the nachos.
- Eat immediately and enjoy!
If you use the corned beef instead of chicken serve without the BBQ sauce. Other choices for meat are grilled steak, chopped rotisserie chicken, chopped pastrami, chopped ham, etc.
If you use seasoned fries or potato wedges there is no need for extra salt but if your potatoes are unseasoned you may want to sprinkle a bit of salt on the fries.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.