Instant Pot Macho Nacho Casserole—fully loaded nachos in casserole form, made fast and easy in your Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Macho Nacho Casserole
Macho nachos! Ever heard of them? They’re basically layered nachos with chili and all the toppings you love like cheese, olives, jalapenos, sour cream, etc. They are nachos to feed a hungry crowd. Today’s recipe is a spin-off of macho nachos. It’s a casserole type of recipe made in the Instant Pot (of course) that has seasoned beef, chili beans, rice and cheese. The casserole is then finished off with all the tasty toppings and consumed in about 2 minutes flat.
A few notes about ingredients:
- Beef–I like to use lean or extra lean ground beef so that I don’t have to drain any grease. You can also use ground turkey for this recipe. I like this hamburger chopper tool* to break up ground meats.
- Tame Jalapenos–I discovered jarred pickled tame (mild) jalapenos and they are the best thing ever! They give salads a pop. And are perfect for dishes like this to give a bit of flavor without too much spice. Look for them next to the pickles (usually they are found on the top shelf).
- Rice–I used brown rice (22 minute pressure cook time). You can also use long grain white rice or parboiled/converted rice as well (5 minute pressure cook time).
- Corn–I used canned corn but frozen corn would work just fine as well!
- Cheese–I used medium cheddar (what I had on hand). But other choices would be a Mexican blend, pepper jack, monterey jack or colby jack. If you have a jar of queso on hand you could drizzle it on top and it would be amazing.
- Tortilla Chips–use white or corn tortilla chips or another good choice is using Fritos. Fritos and corn tortilla chips are both gluten free.
- Ranch style beans–these are seasoned pinto beans in a tasty sauce. If you can’t find them look for chili beans.
More Ground Beef Instant Pot Recipes…
Fully loaded nachos in casserole form, made fast and easy in your Instant Pot.
- 1 pound lean or extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup uncooked white or brown rice
- 1 (14.5 oz) can ranch style beans (sometimes called chili beans), undrained
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilies
- 1 (14 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 2 cups crunched up tortilla chips
- Toppings: pickled tamed jalapenos, sliced black olives, diced tomatoes, sour cream, diced green onions, salsa, extra cheese, guacamole
- Turn Instant Pot to the sauté setting. When the display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Add in the onions, garlic powder, salt, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Pour in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking.
- Sprinkle in the rice and gently press to submerge in the liquid.
- Layer the beans, tomato paste, green chilies and corn on top without stirring.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes for white rice and 22 minutes for brown rice. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir. Add in the cheese and tortilla chips on top. Let the cheese melt.
- Serve with desired toppings.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make in the 3 quart with no changes. For 8 quart pot increase liquid to 1.5 cups.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.