Slow Cooker Tomatillo Chicken Filling
This is an updated recipe from 2011 and it remains one of my very favorites! I love this chicken. I love how the sauce becomes almost creamy when it’s blended but it’s made completely of vegetables! We love serving Slow Cooker Tomatillo Chicken Filling wrapped up in a warm tortilla with sliced tomatoes and cheese and sour cream. Make sure to season the chicken at the end of the cooking time. A little bit of salt and lime juice goes a long way.
What are tomatillos?
Don’t be scared! Tomatillos are so good. They are not spicy! They look like little green tomatoes with a papery husk. They are in the same family as a tomato but they have a distinctive tart flavor. Ask for them in your produce section at the grocery store this week.
Other recipes with tomatillos:Print
Slow Cooker Tomatillo Chicken Filling: tender, moist pieces of shredded chicken with an almost creamy (but healthy) sauce that is tomatillo based. This Chicken Filling is perfect for tacos, enchiladas, burritos, salads or plain!
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I used frozen)
- 1 3/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 tomatillos
- 1 red onion
- 1 poblano pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin, divided
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1 tsp of kosher salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Remove the husks from the tomatillos and rinse them off. Slice them in half and place them around the chicken.
- Cut the onion into wedges (I cut mine into eighths). Place onions around the chicken.
- Slice the poblano in half and remove seeds. Cut into about four pieces and place into the slow cooker.
- Peel the garlic cloves and place them in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the chicken with oregano and cumin.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or if the chicken is frozen cook for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the lid and put chicken on a cutting board. Shred the chicken on the cutting board.
- Place the remaining contents of the slow cooker into a strainer and strain off the liquid (reserve a little bit of the liquid). Place the non-liquid contents into a blender or food processor and pulse until semi-smooth.
- Put the chicken back into the slow cooker and then add in the sauce you just made in the blender. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp cumin and lime juice. Stir and taste. Season additionally to taste, if needed.
- Use chicken in tacos, on salads, in burritos or enchiladas.
I used my 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe.
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up here. I usually send out 1-2 new recipes per week. And you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
Some other slow cooker recipes you may like:
Serve this recipe with…
- Homemade flour tortillas from Chef in Training
- Homemade corn tortillas from Simply Recipes
- Avocado corn salsa from Our Best Bites
- Better than Cafe Rio black beans