This meal is one of my favorites. In fact, my whole family loves it. Maybe it’s because we could drink the tomatillo ranch dressing because it’s that good. Or maybe it’s because it’s so super easy to get going in the morning with only 5 ingredients! Whatever the reason, this is a recipe worth trying. If you’re not a big salad fan, the chicken goes nicely in tacos or even on pizza.
Super easy slow cooker chicken that is similar to cafe rio chicken salad.
For the Chicken:
- 6 frozen boneless, skinless chicken thighs (doesn’t have to be frozen but if you don’t want to defrost you don’t need to)
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
For the Dressing:
- 1 package Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tomatillos (peel outer skin layer)
- 1 clove minced garlic (1 tsp of pre-packaged stuff)
- 1/3 bunch cilantro, chopped
- ½ tsp lime juice
- 1 small jalapeno (seeds removed)
- Place thighs in bottom of slow cooker.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-8 hours (if chicken is thawed then closer to 4 hours, if frozen closer to 8)
- Shred chicken and serve on top of salad greens with cheese, tomatoes, avocado and any other preferred toppings.
- To make the dressing: Place all ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth and refrigerate.
Ideal slow cooker size: 3-4 quart