Slow Cooker Tomatillo Chicken Filling: tender, moist pieces of shredded chicken with an almost creamy (but healthy) sauce that is tomatillo based. This Chicken Filling is perfect for tacos, enchiladas, burritos, salads or plain!
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I used frozen)
- 1 3/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 tomatillos
- 1 red onion
- 1 poblano pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin, divided
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1 tsp of kosher salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Remove the husks from the tomatillos and rinse them off. Slice them in half and place them around the chicken.
- Cut the onion into wedges (I cut mine into eighths). Place onions around the chicken.
- Slice the poblano in half and remove seeds. Cut into about four pieces and place into the slow cooker.
- Peel the garlic cloves and place them in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the chicken with oregano and cumin.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or if the chicken is frozen cook for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the lid and put chicken on a cutting board. Shred the chicken on the cutting board.
- Place the remaining contents of the slow cooker into a strainer and strain off the liquid (reserve a little bit of the liquid). Place the non-liquid contents into a blender or food processor and pulse until semi-smooth.
- Put the chicken back into the slow cooker and then add in the sauce you just made in the blender. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp cumin and lime juice. Stir and taste. Season additionally to taste, if needed.
- Use chicken in tacos, on salads, in burritos or enchiladas.
I used my 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe.