If you love ordering curry at restaurants you’re going to be so happy that you can make this awesome slow cooker version at home! It is seriously so good. I couldn’t be happier with the results of this recipe. It’s full of flavor and it has the right consistency. It doesn’t have weird, hard to find ingredients in it. Try this coconut chicken curry for dinner tonight!
Sometimes recipes turn out great on the first try and this was one of those! I just had the leftovers for lunch and the curry was even better the second day. I love all the awesome flavors involved in this dish–thai curry paste, ginger, lime and creamy coconut milk.
There’s a little bit of dicing up front (onions, peppers, potatoes and carrots) but after you get everything into the slow cooker it’s pretty much hands off! I highly recommend using full fat coconut milk for this recipe. It just gives it such a full bodied flavor. Oh I could just drink this sauce! YUM!
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp minced ginger root
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 lb yellow potatoes, diced into cubes (about 2 large potatoes)
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, frozen
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 (13.5 oz) full fat coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp minute tapioca (found next to the jello/gelatin usually)
- 3 Tbsp red curry paste (I used this brand it’s pretty easy to find in normal grocery stores)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper
- Hot cooked rice, for serving
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the onion, oil, garlic, ginger and tomato paste. Stir together. Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes stirring every 90 seconds. This will soften the onions and is easier than sauteeing on the stove. However, if you prefer you’re welcome to do that. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add in the potatoes, chicken thighs, carrots and red pepper. Sprinkle with salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the coconut milk, soy sauce, tapioca and curry paste. Pour the mixture evenly over the contents in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours.
- Remove the lid and place the chicken onto a cutting board. Slice or shred the chicken.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir the water and cornstarch together until smooth. Stir into the slow cooker and then add in the lime juice. Add the chicken back in and cook on high without the cover until the sauce thickens up a bit (it should only take 2 or 3 minutes). Salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Serve curry over rice and enjoy!
Ideal slow cooker size: 5-6 quart