Slow Cooker White Chicken Enchilada Bowls—chopped chicken is encompassed in a velvety white sauce made with sour cream, cream cheese and diced green chilies. The sauce is served over rice and topped with colorful toppings. An easy way to enjoy the flavors of enchiladas without a ton of work.
Get the INSTANT POT white chicken enchilada bowls recipe
Slow Cooker White Chicken Enchilada Bowls
The picture of this food does not do it justice. It was so so so yummy and the leftovers were even better the next day. These Slow Cooker White Chicken Enchilada bowls give you the flavors of enchiladas without all the work. Instead of cooking chicken, making a sauce, rolling up the enchiladas and then finally baking them this recipe cuts down all the steps and dishes into one. You cook the chicken in the slow cooker and then stir together a quick white sauce made with sour cream and cream cheese.
I loved the combination of the cream cheese and the green chilies to make a sauce that I wanted to drink it was so good. And you can get as fancy as you want with the toppings too. I liked cilantro, fresh garden tomatoes and a little guacamole. But you could also add corn tortilla chips (if you’re missing the tortillas from your enchiladas), grated monterey jack cheese, green onions, chopped romaine, black beans and pico de gallo.
If you’re trying to cut down on carbs you can leave out the flour and thicken the sauce with arrowroot powder or just have a runnier sauce. Another idea for you keto dieters is to serve this over cauliflower rice. And for a higher fat content you can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
You might also like…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker White Chicken Enchilada Bowls I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stove top function. This is perfect for sauteing the onions and then thickening the sauce.
Chopped chicken is encompassed in a velvety white sauce made with sour cream, cream cheese and diced green chilies. The sauce is served over rice and topped with colorful toppings. An easy way to enjoy the flavors of enchiladas without a ton of work.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 (4 oz) cans diced green chilies
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup flour
- Optional toppings: diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, guacamole, grated monterey jack cheese
- Hot cooked rice or cauliflower rice
- In a pan over medium high heat melt the butter. Then add in the onion and saute. Add in cumin and garlic powder. When the onion is softened add the onions into the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken into the slow cooker and then pour the broth into the pot. Sprinkle the salt and pepper on top of the chicken. Spoon the green chilies on top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low to 4-6 hours.
- Use tongs to place chicken on a cutting board. In a bowl mix together the softened cream cheese, sour cream and flour. Stir the sour cream mixture into the slow cooker. Stir until smooth. Turn the slow cooker to high. The mixture will thicken up in a few minutes.
- Chop the chicken. Then add the chopped chicken back into the slow cooker and stir it into the sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over rice and then top with desired toppings.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.