Instant Pot White Chicken Enchilada Bowls—chopped chicken is encompassed in a velvety white sauce made with sour cream, cream cheese and diced green chilies. The sauce is served over rice and topped with colorful toppings. An easy way to enjoy the flavors of enchiladas without a ton of work.
Get the SLOW COOKER white chicken enchilada bowls recipe
Instant Pot White Chicken Enchilada Bowls
The picture of this food does not do it justice. It was so so so yummy and the leftovers were even better the next day. These Instant Pot White Chicken Enchilada bowls give you the flavors of enchiladas without all the work. Instead of cooking chicken, making a sauce, rolling up the enchiladas and then finally baking them this recipe cuts down all the steps and dishes into one. You cook the chicken and rice at the same time in the same pot and then stir together a quick white sauce made with sour cream and cream cheese.
I loved the combination of the cream cheese and the green chilies to make a sauce that I wanted to drink it was so good. And you can get as fancy as you want with the toppings too. I liked cilantro, fresh garden tomatoes and a little guacamole. But you could also add corn tortilla chips (if you’re missing the tortillas from your enchiladas), grated monterey jack cheese, green onions, chopped romaine, black beans and pico de gallo.
Making pot-in-pot rice
I loved using the pot-in-pot method to cook some long grain white rice along with the chicken. Use this method if:
- You have an oven safe dish that fits inside your Instant Pot. I use one of these pans with the lid on top*. The lid is optional but I like it so that less water drips into the rice.
- You want to cook white rice. Brown rice takes too long to cook and won’t get done at the same rate as the chicken.
- You have a trivet. I ended up using a tall trivet* that came with my CrispLid* but you can also use the trivet that came with your Instant Pot or a silicone sling trivet*.
- You are not trying to double the recipe. All of the chicken won’t fit in the Instant Pot with a double batch of rice.
Here’s how I make pot-in-pot rice alongside my chicken:
You might also like…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot White Chicken Enchilada Bowls I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Chopped chicken is encompassed in a velvety white sauce made with sour cream, cream cheese and diced green chilies. The sauce is served over rice and topped with colorful toppings. An easy way to enjoy the flavors of enchiladas without a ton of work.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 (4 oz) cans diced green chilies
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup flour
- Optional toppings: diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, guacamole, grated monterey jack cheese
For optional pot-in-pot rice:
- 2 cups water
- 1 ⅓ cups uncooked long grain white rice
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter and swirl it around until it is melted. Add in the onion, cumin and garlic powder. Saute for about 4 minutes, until onion is softened.
- Deglaze the pot with the chicken broth. Place the chicken in the bottom of the pot in a single layer. Scoop the green chilies on top of the chicken. And then sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken.
- If making pot-in-pot rice: Pour the water and rice in a pan* (cover the pan if you have a lid). Then place the pan on a trivet and lower the trivet into the pot on top of the chicken.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for thawed chicken or 18 minutes for frozen chicken. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 more minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- In a bowl mix together the softened cream cheese, sour cream and flour.
- Remove the trivet and pan (if using) and set aside. Use tongs to place chicken on a cutting board. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Stir the sour cream mixture into the Instant Pot. Stir until smooth. The mixture will thicken up in a few minutes.
- Chop the chicken. I used one of these*. Then add the chopped chicken back into the Instant Pot and stir it into the sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over rice and then top with desired toppings.
For more info on pot in pot rice scroll up to see pictures and a video.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.