Last week I was able to go a trip back east and it was sooooo cold! (Follow me on instagram @365dayscrockpot to see all my adventures) It was definitely still soup weather there even though it’s April. So if it’s still cold where you are this recipe is for you! This soup is chock full of ham and lentils and hearty barley. It will warm you right up and it’s pretty healthy too! No heavy cream or cheeses in this soup (although that might actually be really tasty).
You’ll start with some basic pantry staples and end up with soup…isn’t that the way soup should be? Throw stuff that you have in your fridge/pantry in a crockpot and turn it on and forget it.
If you’re up for more soup ideas you can always check out my all my crockpot soups in my index. I have plenty to choose from…some of my most popular recipes are soups. Like the Slow Cooker Chicken Gnocchi Soup with Kale and Parmesan or the Crockpot Lasagna Soup or the Creamy Tortellini, Spinach and Chicken Soup. My 7 year old son loves soups and is always so happy when I make them for dinner…I don’t think that’s very typical for a little kid but hey I’ll take it! He wants to start a restaurant called Yum Soups!, I kind of like the idea. What do you think? I would definitely sell this ham and lentil soup at his restaurant and the one that I’m totally in love with lately is the blender roasted red pepper soup. I just got 6 more red peppers at Costco yesterday so I could make it 3 times this week. To me, it’s a perfect lunch (along with this avocado grilled cheese). Anyhow, what soup would you like to see sold at Yum Soups!? I’ll ask Skyler if he approves of your choices and let you know.
Before I give you the recipe I am just really excited about a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT that I’m going to be letting out of the bag in the next few days. I have to get a few things in place before I tell you but I am just super duper excited about it! So stay tuned…
A hearty but healthy lentil and barley soup with cubes of ham and tomatoes.
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 1 cup lentils (I used green lentils)
- 1 cup pearl barley (I find this in the bulk section of my grocery store)
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, grated or sliced or chopped (I grated mine)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 cups water
- 6 tsp chicken bouillon (OR the amount needed to make 6 cups, some bouillons are more concentrated than others so read the packaging)
- Splash of lemon juice
- Combine ham, lentils, barley, onion, carrots, tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaf, oregano, parsley, basil, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, water and bouillon in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or until lentils are tender.
- Add in fresh ground pepper to taste as well as a splash of lemon juice.
- Ladle into serving bowls and enjoy.
I use my 6 quart slowcooker for this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!