This Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini, Spinach and Chicken Soup is a delicious meal made all in one pot that will leave everyone saying yelling, “THAT WAS GOOD!” No seriously, that’s what we all said (kids and adults alike). If I could eat this soup every day this winter, I would be happy.
Click here for the Instant Pot version of this soup
Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini, Spinach and Chicken Soup
You guys, this is a soup that you absolutely have to try. It is so super good. For reals! You are going to love it. It’s like a creamy tomato soup with cheesy tortellini and chicken and then a pop of color from the bright green spinach.
My kids both died over this soup and we were all sad when there was none left. It has loads of flavor and comfort. No need to make a roux on the stove top at the end of cooking time, the flour is added at the beginning to give the soup a creamy, thick consistency without dirtying extra pans.
My Favorite Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
If you know me, you know I love soups and it’s even better if they’re slow cooker soups! I have tried a ton of soups over the years but here are some of my favorites that I make over and over again.
- Chicken gnocchi soup with kale and Parmesan–reminds me of Olive Garden but much better
- Tomato basil parmesan soup–a classic that is super popular
- Blender roasted red pepper soup–not a slow cooker soup but I make this one all the time
- Healthy turkey lentil chili–easy to make and healthy but it tastes oh so good, especially with Fritos and sour cream on top
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
For the Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini, Spinach and Chicken Soup I used my beloved 6 quart oval KitchenAid slow cooker*. I love this slow cooker because it cooks evenly and low. I also love this slow cooker because it has a neat timer with satisfying beeping buttons as well as a medium setting for those days where you start your slow cooker at an in-between time.
Send Me Free Slow Cooker Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Fill out the form below and I’ll send you my new recipes.Print
A creamy tomato soup with cheesy tortellini and chicken and then a pop of color from the bright green spinach.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups frozen cheese tortellini (or you can use fresh)
- 3 cups packed spinach (you can definitely add more than this if you want)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half and half
- In a microwave-safe bowl add the onions, flour, basil, garlic, tomato paste and drizzle with olive oil. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds or so. (The mixture will be pasty and look weird but don’t worry it will all be okay in the end). Add the mixture to the slow cooker*.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours (or until chicken is very tender).
- Remove the lid use a fork to remove the chicken out of the slow cooker. And add in tortellini and spinach, Parmesan cheese and warmed cream (cream should be warmed because it may cause curdling if added in cold).
- On a cutting board, shred or cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker. Put the lid back on and cook on HIGH for about 10 more minutes, or until the tortellini are cooked through. Ladle into serving bowls and enjoy!
Recipe inspired by Closet Cooking
Want to see slow cooker goodness in your instagram feed? Follow me on instagram!