Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini, Spinach and Chicken Soup
You guys, this is a soup that you absolutely have to try. It is so super good. For reals! You are going to love it. It’s like a creamy tomato soup with cheesy tortellini and chicken and then a pop of color from the bright green spinach.
My kids both died over this soup and we were all sad when there was none left. It has loads of flavor and comfort. No need to make a roux on the stove top at the end of cooking time, the flour is added at the beginning to give the soup a creamy, thick consistency without dirtying extra pans.
My Favorite Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
- Chicken gnocchi soup with kale and Parmesan
- Tomato basil parmesan soup
- Blender roasted red pepper soup (not a slow cooker soup but I make this one all the time)
- Healthy turkey lentil chili
- Chicken, white bean and pinto soup
- Chicken enchilada soup
- Thai coconut soup with lemongrass
- Chicken and pesto soup
- Healthy chicken and barley soup
- Greek lemon and rice soup
- Chicken noodle soup
- No peek beef stew
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
Send Me Free Slow Cooker Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up here. I usually send out 1-2 new recipes per week. And you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
A creamy tomato soup with cheesy tortellini and chicken and then a pop of color from the bright green spinach.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups frozen cheese tortellini (or you can use fresh)
- 3 cups packed spinach (you can definitely add more than this if you want)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half and half
- In a microwave-safe bowl add the onions, flour, basil, garlic, tomato paste and drizzle with olive oil. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds or so. (The mixture will be pasty and look weird but don’t worry it will all be okay in the end). Add the mixture to the slow cooker*.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours (or until chicken is very tender).
- Remove the lid and add in tortellini and spinach, Parmesan cheese and warmed cream (cream should be warmed because it may cause curdling if added in cold).
- Use a fork to remove the chicken out of the slow cooker. On a cutting board, shred or cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker. Put the lid back on and cook on HIGH for about 10 more minutes, or until the tortellini are cooked through. Ladle into serving bowls and enjoy!