A hearty but healthy lentil and barley soup with cubes of ham and tomatoes.
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 1 cup lentils (I used green lentils)
- 1 cup pearl barley (I find this in the bulk section of my grocery store)
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, grated or sliced or chopped (I grated mine)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 cups water
- 6 tsp chicken bouillon (OR the amount needed to make 6 cups, some bouillons are more concentrated than others so read the packaging)
- Splash of lemon juice
- Combine ham, lentils, barley, onion, carrots, tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaf, oregano, parsley, basil, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, water and bouillon in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or until lentils are tender.
- Add in fresh ground pepper to taste as well as a splash of lemon juice.
- Ladle into serving bowls and enjoy.
I use my 6 quart slowcooker for this recipe.