Instant Pot Smoked Sausage with Parmesan and Orzo–smoked sausage, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, orzo and parmesan cheese cooked quickly in your pressure cooker. This meal is loaded with flavor and is a dump and go one pot meal.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Smoked Sausage with Parmesan and Orzo
What a great meal! The flavors in this dish blend together so well. The veggies and the sausage are the star of the dish and the orzo just stands quietly in the background. This is a meal that you chop everything up and throw it in the pot, walk away for a few minutes and come back to a delicious dinner. You’ll just have a cutting board, knife and pot to wash. Not bad, not bad!
I used beef smoked sausage. You really can use whatever type of cured sausage that you want. Kielbasa, cajun, chicken sausage with spinach and cheese, etc.
The mushrooms that I picked out at the store were small white button mushrooms. I quartered them which I really thought was fun instead of sliced mushrooms.
I used a normal can of diced tomatoes but I think if you wanted to infuse even more flavor into this dish you could use fire roasted tomatoes.
I’ve made this dish with both red and green peppers. They are both tasty. Use what you prefer.
More Instant Pot pasta recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Smoked Sausage with Parmesan and Orzo I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Smoked sausage, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, orzo and parmesan cheese cooked quickly in your pressure cooker. This meal is loaded with flavor and is a dump and go one pot meal.
- 12 ounces quartered mushrooms
- 1 (12 ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced into quarter inch rounds
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 red or green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Evenly layer the mushrooms and smoked sausage in the bottom of your Instant Pot. Sprinkle in the orzo evenly and then pour in the water. Then evenly add in the peppers, diced tomatoes, garlic, basil, onion powder, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Don’t stir.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 1 minute on high pressure. When the time is up perform a quick release by moving the valve to venting.
- Stir. It will be a little runny at first but then thicken up.
- Scoop onto serving dishes and top each dish with 2 Tbsp of Parmesan cheese.
The peppers get a little soft even with just a 1 minute cooking time. If you want them semi-cooked (not soft not crisp) you can place them in a foil packet and then place the packet on top of the ingredients. After the food has cooked open the packet and stir the diced peppers into the pasta.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.