Instant Pot Garlic Chicken Sausage Orzo—orzo pasta with a tangy dijon-balsamic sauce, chicken smoked sausage, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers and parmesan cheese. Loads of flavor and an all in one pot dinner!
Instant Pot Garlic Chicken Sausage Orzo
This is a perfect summer supper made easy by your Instant Pot. I had a couple of friends over while I was cooking yesterday and they both agreed that they wanted to make this orzo dish for their own families! I told them the recipe would be on my website today. So Mindy and Katie…here it is!
I love the tanginess from the balsamic vinegar, the slight crispness from the zucchini and peppers, and the flavor that comes from the chicken sausage. I found my chicken sausage on sale a couple of weeks ago at Smiths (Kroger). It has great flavor and it really makes dinner easy. No browning, pre-cooking or thawing. It’s just ready to go. If you can’t find chicken sausage you can totally just use a regular smoked sausage of your choice.
I chose to use whole wheat orzo pasta. I was so excited to find it at my grocery store. I’ve been looking for whole wheat orzo for a long time! It was the Delallo brand and well worth the extra cost. You can also use white orzo. Keep the recipe times/ratios the same.
The veggies are tender so I did not pressure cook them. Even with a 1 minute pressure cook time the zucchini and peppers would be indistinguishable. So instead I chopped them up while the pasta was cooking and stirred them into the hot pasta after it was done pressure cooking. I covered the pot for just a few minutes afterwards and the hot pasta cooked the tender veggies.
You can get creative with what veggies you choose to add in. I added in zucchini, cherry tomatoes and peppers. But you can use summer squash, mushrooms, asparagus, green beans and broccoli. It’s really up to you and what’s in your fridge. Please comment below and let me know what you use and how it turns out!
More Instant Pot Pasta Recipes You’ll Love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Garlic Chicken Sausage Orzo I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Orzo pasta with a tangy dijon-balsamic sauce, chicken smoked sausage, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers and parmesan cheese. Loads of flavor and an all in one pot dinner!
- 1 (13 oz) package Hillshire Farm Roasted Garlic Chicken Smoked Sausage
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound (16 oz) uncooked whole wheat orzo
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 small/medium zucchini diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 ¾ cup shredded/grated parmesan cheese
- Slice the smoked sausage into quarter inch slices. Add them into the Instant Pot. Pour the broth into the pot. Add in the orzo, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, mustard, basil and oregano.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 1 minute. When the time is up release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Add in the zucchini, tomatoes, pepper and cheese. Stir. Cover the pot and let it just sit on warm with the lid for about 5 minutes. This will slightly cook the veggies. Remove the lid. Stir. Season to taste.
- Scoop into serving bowls and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.