Instant Pot Sloppy Joe Casserole—A sloppy joe and macaroni and cheese mash-up meal! Top it with chopped dill pickles for a crunchy twist.
Instant Pot Sloppy Joe Casserole
This recipe is a fun cross between sloppy joes and macaroni and cheese. Two meals that kids love made in one pot, your Instant Pot. Greg and Skyler LOVED this meal. They especially liked the pickles on top.
A few notes about the ingredients:
Ground Beef: I like to use extra lean or lean ground beef so that I don’t have to drain off any grease. You can also use ground turkey for this recipe with no changes.
Pasta Noodles: I used fun, curly cavatappi noodles. They haven’t been seen in Smiths (Kroger) for months! But I finally found them last week. Yay! You can use elbow macaroni or any other sturdy tubular pasta (like penne).
Bell Pepper: I used a red bell pepper, which I usually prefer over green bell pepper. However when I make this recipe next time I will use green! I think for this particular recipe green bell pepper would taste better.
Beef Broth: I like to use Better than Bouillon Beef Base plus water to make beef broth. Use 1 teaspoon of the base with 1 cup of water. I always have a big container of it in my fridge (and the chicken base too). I like to buy them at Costco because it’s much cheaper per ounce than at a normal grocery store.
Cheddar: For ultimate flavor use a sharp or mild cheddar over a mild cheddar. And grate it off the block!
More Beefy Pasta Recipes You’ll Love…
A sloppy joe and macaroni and cheese mash-up meal! Top it with chopped dill pickles for a fun, crunchy twist.
- 1 ½ pounds lean or extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 green or red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 ¾ cups beef broth
- 8 oz dry macaroni or cavatappi pasta
- 1 ½ Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- ½ cup chopped dill pickles
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the beef and onion. Break up the beef and brown it for about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic powder, salt, pepper and bell pepper. Stir. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot clean so that nothing is sticking. Sprinkle in the pasta in an even layer and gently press to submerge.
- In a bowl, stir the brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire and tomato sauce together. Pour the mixture over the top of the pasta. Don’t stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Remove the lid. Stir in the cheddar and the pickles.
- Scoop onto plates or in bowls and enjoy!
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.