Instant Pot Homemade Hamburger Helper–with just a little more effort than making a boxed meal you can have a homemade creamy tomato basil beef pasta meal. And with the help of your Instant Pot it takes just a few minutes.
Instant Pot Homemade Hamburger Helper
When I was growing up my mom would always make homemade foods. She never used processed boxes of stuff. However one time when we were camping at Yellowstone she made a box of hamburger helper on the camp stove. I was probably about 8 years old and I still remember it. I thought it tasted so good! Haha!
Isn’t it funny how kids love their white wonder bread, twinkies, pasta roni, boxed mac and cheese etc.??? They’d choose that over homemade food that actually tastes good.
A while ago I tried to make a bunch of boxed foods in the Instant Pot just to see if I could. One of them was hamburger helper. I tried it after I made it and it was not good. Overly processed and just gross. It looked good but every time I tried a bite I was disappointed.
This recipe for instant pot homemade hamburger helper tastes 1000 times better than the boxed stuff. My family and I couldn’t get enough. We were all sad that I didn’t double the recipe. The funny thing is that it doesn’t take much more time than using the boxed stuff. It’s a little more effort but well worth it.
This pasta reminds me a little of lasagna. It has the ground meat, the tomatoes, the creaminess and the cheesiness. I’d way rather make this than lasagna since it takes a lot less effort! And I’m all about efficiency. Add the ingredients of this instant pot homemade hamburger helper to your shopping list and make it for dinner this week. I know you’ll love it!
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Homemade Hamburger Helper I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
With just a little more effort than making a boxed meal you can have a homemade creamy tomato basil beef pasta meal. And with the help of your Instant Pot it takes just a few minutes.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 8 ounces (1/2 pound) cavatappi noodles, uncooked
- 1 3/4 cup beef broth (or 1 3/4 cup water + 2 tsp better than bouillon beef base)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Optional: 1 Tbsp cornstarch + 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the beef. Break it up with a spoon (I use this tool*). Add in the onion. Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, garlic powder and basil. Brown the beef and saute the onion.
- Once the beef is browned, add in the uncooked pasta. Then pour the broth over the top. Dump the canned tomatoes over the top. Don’t stir.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes.
- Once the time is up let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Remove the lid and stir in the sour cream and mozzarella. If you want to thicken up the sauce you can stir in a cornstarch slurry (stir the cornstarch and milk together until smooth and then stir it into the pot). Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop onto plates and enjoy!
You can easily double this recipe. Just double all the ingredients and keep the cooking time the same.
I used 90% lean ground beef so there was no grease to drain off. If you’re using ground beef that’s not quite as lean you may need to drain off some of the grease. You can also use ground turkey for this recipe.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
To make gluten free: Substitute for gluten free noodles. Check the broth for wheat. Swanson’s Organic Beef Broth says gluten free and no msg right on the front of the box. Reduce the IP cook time by one minute when using GF pasta.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 609
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 1118 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Carbohydrates: 50 g
- Protein: 43 g
Keywords: instant pot
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Homemade Hamburger Helper? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.