Instant Pot Old-Fashioned Goulash is an old family favorite recipe. Ground beef or turkey is browned and then simmered with a tomato-based sauce and macaroni noodles and then topped with grated cheddar. The perfect weeknight dinner to feed a family. Make it quickly in your electric pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Old-Fashioned Goulash
I have an old ratty folder that has all the recipes that I took with me to college. I put it together as an 18-year-old knowing that soon I would be cooking for myself. It has the fudgy wudgy recipe, pasta primavera, zucchini linguine and many other recipes that are easy to make. I also included my mom’s recipe for goulash. Here’s how the recipe reads:
Goulash: cook hamburger with onion and salt and pepper. Macaroni. 1 can corn. 1 can tomato soup. Canned tomatoes. Cheese on top. Bake at 350 until hot/30 minutes max.
I laughed when I read that the other day. It’s so clear and instructive, right?! This truly sounds like a recipe from a mom or grandma…no measurements and very vague.
Well today I’ve written up a recipe that has actual measurements in it. Plus I adapted the recipe, that I knew and loved as a kid, to the Instant Pot.
We all loved this dish and loved the leftovers too. Instant Pot goulash is easy enough for any night of the week. Plus you probably have all the ingredients you need on hand.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Old-Fashioned Goulash I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
Ground beef or turkey is browned and then simmered with a tomato-based sauce and macaroni noodles and then topped with grated cheddar. The perfect weeknight dinner to feed a family. Make it quickly in your electric pressure cooker.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth (or 1 1/2 cups water + 1 1/2 tsp Better than Bouillon Beef Base)
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 oz cavatappi noodles, cellentani or elbow macaroni noodles (uncooked)
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese
- Optional: 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground meat. Use a wooden spoon to break it up (or a tool like this*). Brown the meat for about 3 minutes then add in the onion. Let the onion get soft and translucent, about 3-4 more minutes. Add in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, Italian seasoning, garlic cloves and Worcestershire sauce. Stir.
- Pour in the beef broth and deglaze the pot. Add in the bay leaf and the noodles. Then pour the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes on top, don’t stir.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes on high pressure.
- When the timer beeps indicating the time is up move the valve to venting. Once all the pressure is release, remove the lid. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Stir.
- Sprinkle in the cheddar and serve topped with fresh basil, if desired.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
To make gluten free: Double check the beef broth to be sure it does not contain gluten. Substitute noodles for GF noodles and decrease cook time by 1 minute in the IP.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 418
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 1280 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Protein: 27 g
Keywords: pasta, ground beef
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Old-Fashioned Goulash? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.