Instant Pot American Chop Suey–beefy, cheesy noodles with seasoned tomato sauce and green peppers. A classic comfort food from mom’s kitchen.
Each week in 2020 I’m sharing a recipe inspired by one of the 50 states. (See all the state recipes I’ve covered so far.) Today’s recipe is inspired by the Granite State, New Hampshire.
Last year we went on a fun trip to all the New England states. New Hampshire with its stunning White Mountains was one of my favorite parts. So beautiful! It’s a small state, one of the 13 original colonies. It’s known for having the highest peak in the northeastern U.S., the shortest coastline of any state (18 miles) and having the first presidential primary of the season.
Instant Pot American Chop Suey
Today’s recipe is inspired by New Hampshire and New England, in general. It’s called American Chop Suey…an interesting name, I know. American chop suey is the quirky New England name of this well-known and loved comfort food that combines ground beef, elbow macaroni and green bell peppers in a seasoned tomato sauce. No, it is not related to any Chinese food. You may have heard it called goulash, Johnny Marzetti, macaroni hamburger and tomato or chili mac. Whatever you call it, it is delicious! You’re going to love making American Chop Suey in your Instant Pot. It is so easy and quick too!
What Should I Serve with American Chop Suey? A side of garlic bread and a green salad.
How Do I Store the Leftovers? Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I would not recommend freezing this dish as the pasta will become mushy once it is reheated.
Can I use ground turkey instead? Yep just use in the place of ground beef.
What other types of cheese can I use? Cheddar cheese is great! Other options are colby jack, pepper jack, etc.
Can I use red bell peppers? You can. I really liked the green peppers it this dish though! Give them a shot.
More Instant Pot Pasta Recipes…
Beefy, cheesy noodles with seasoned tomato sauce and green peppers. A classic comfort food from mom’s kitchen.
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 8 oz dry elbow macaroni
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Add in the onion. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic, salt, pepper. Stir in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot. Turn off saute setting.
- Sprinkle in the macaroni in an even layer. Add the green pepper, oregano, cayenne, parsley and Worcestershire. Dump the tomatoes on top. Don’t stir.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.