Instant Pot Shipwreck Casserole—a compilation of random ingredients like ground beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots that ends up tasting really amazing together! Try this easy Instant Pot recipe for dinner tonight!
Instant Pot Shipwreck Casserole
Shipwreck casserole is one of those recipe where it has a long list of ingredients but they are all items you are likely to have on hand. I’m not exactly sure where the name shipwreck casserole comes from but one story goes that following a shipwreck, shipmates grabbed what food they could before abandoning the vessel and this mixture became their supper on land, from the result of what they had gathered. Another theory is that’s is a mishmash of ingredients that are thrown together a bit like a shipwreck would be. I guess the name doesn’t matter as much as how awesome this tastes!
Some versions of this recipe have bell peppers, celery, tomato soup, kidney beans and cajun seasoning. Most versions are heavy on rice. My version switches it up and uses cabbage, hardly any rice and an awesome mixture of seasonings that makes it taste so good! I was so pleased with the results. I kept eating it and couldn’t stop. There are no leftovers after I had two servings, Skyler had two servings and Reagan and Greg each had a serving each. I’ll definitely be making it again soon!
Related: If you like this Instant Pot shipwreck casserole than I think you’ll also really like Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Casserole.
10 More Instant Pot Ground Beef Casserole Recipes…
- Instant Pot French Onion Beef Casserole
- A Cowboy’s Supper
- Instant Pot Corn Dog Casserole
- Instant Pot Preacher’s Casserole
- Instant Pot Meatloaf Melts
- Instant Pot Western Meal in One
- Instant Pot Heavenly Casserole
- Instant Pot Texas Haystacks
- Instant Pot Dinner in a Dish
- Instant Pot Total Dude Casserole
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
A compilation of random ingredients like ground beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots that ends up tasting really amazing together! Try this easy Instant Pot recipe for dinner tonight!
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 cup diced onions
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 cup beef broth (or 1 cup water + 1 tsp better than bouillon)
- ¼ cup uncooked white rice, converted rice or jasmine rice
- 2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced into quarter inch rounds
- 1 cup peeled and sliced carrots
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1 Tbsp minced onion flakes
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1–2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Add in the onions. Brown for about 5 minutes and then drain off any excess grease. Stir garlic salt into the beef.
- Pour broth into Instant Pot and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle in the rice. Add potatoes on top in one layer. Then add in the carrots and cabbage. Sprinkle the onion flakes, pepper, salt, garlic powder, dry mustard, celery seed, chili powder, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce on top. Dump the tomato sauce over everything.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 2 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Gently stir. Add in the cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
Order Your Copy Of The 365 Days Of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
The 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook is a recipe book with over 365 different easy and approachable electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) dinner recipes. There’s also a chapter with breakfasts, appetizers and side dishes. The recipes in this book are generally fast, easy and approachable. Oh, and don’t forget DELICIOUS!
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.