Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Casserole—a super easy and fast way to have the flavors of cabbage rolls for dinner tonight.
Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Casserole
Sandi, an email subscriber to 365 Days, sent me a note asking if I had a cabbage roll casserole recipe in the Instant Pot. I told her I didn’t but that I was intrigued…did she have an oven recipe she liked? Yes, she did and she sent it to me. I changed a few things around and made it into an Instant Pot recipe. To tell you the truth when I read the ingredient list I was a bit skeptical that it would taste good. I was TOTALLY wrong! It was so tasty! And I absolutely loved the cabbage! I almost wished that I had added more.
Sandi’s version of the recipe uses 2 cans of condensed tomato soup. I don’t usually have that ingredient in my pantry so I decided to go with a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce instead. I just couldn’t make it to the store yesterday. It worked wonderfully.
I usually cook with brown rice but the original recipe used white minute rice. I decided to use white long grain rice and again, it worked well. Next time I make this I’m going to experiment with brown rice. I’m not exactly sure how that will work since brown rice needs a 22 minute cooking time. I’ll definitely let you know how it goes.
Sandi’s recipe called for water but I decided to amp up the flavor and use some beef broth. I love using Better than Bouillon products and always keep a jar of chicken base and a jar of beef base in my fridge at all times. I buy the big jars at Costco. They last forever and I use them all the time. Whenever a recipe calls for broth I simply add in a cup of water and then a teaspoon of Better than Bouillon.
I think that you’ll really enjoy this easy weeknight dinner! And if you have a favorite recipe that you think could be made in the Instant Pot I’d love to take a look at it. Just email me the recipe (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I’ll see what I can do! Or you can chime in on the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook Group.
You’ll also like…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Casserole I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
A super easy and fast way to have the flavors of cabbage rolls for dinner tonight.
- 1 pound ground beef (you can also use ground turkey)
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 6 cups cabbage (cut into ½” by 3” slices)
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 4 oz grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground beef and break it up. Add in the onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess grease. Turn off the saute setting. Scrape off the bottom of the Instant Pot with a wooden spoon. Add in half the broth.
- Layer the cabbage on top of the beef. Then sprinkle the rice on top of the cabbage. Pour the rest of the broth over the top of the rice. Then dump the tomatoes and tomato sauce evenly over the top of the rice.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 8 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the cheddar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop onto plates and enjoy!
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.