Instant Pot Dinner in a Dish–saucy ground beef casserole topped with mashed potatoes and a bit of cheddar cheese. A complete dinner all in one dish.
Instant Pot Dinner in a Dish
I came across a recipe entitled dinner in a dish and I was intrigued. What is dinner in a dish? Could it be “dinner in an Instant Pot” instead? That’s how my brain works these days. I’m always thinking “could this be made into an Instant Pot recipe?” After reading through the recipe I learned that it was similar to a recipe my mom used to call shepherd’s pie when I was growing up. Basically it is a beef casserole that’s topped with mashed potatoes and baked.
My version of the recipe allows the potatoes to cook in a steamer basket* at the same time as the beef. And if you have an air fryer lid you can cook the entire recipe all in the same pot. (If you don’t have an air fryer lid you can use your oven.)
I was surprised at how well I liked this dish. The combination of the creamy cheesy mashed potatoes with the beef and peas was delicious. This is pure comfort food and it tastes so good on a cold, dreary February day. I would recommend making this Instant Pot Dinner in a Dish for dinner this week!
More Ground Beef Recipes You’ll Like…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
A saucy ground beef casserole topped with mashed potatoes and a bit of cheddar cheese. A complete dinner all in one dish.
Equipment needed: steamer basket and air fryer lid (optional)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, washed and cut into cubes
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen peas
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Get peas out of the freezer and set on counter.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté. When the display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Add in the onions. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess grease. Stir in the kosher salt and black pepper.
- Pour in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Dump in the tomatoes, ketchup and Italian seasoning. Don’t’ stir.
- Place the potatoes in a steamer basket*. Place the steamer basket on top of the beef/tomatoes. It will get dirty on the bottom, it’s okay.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 8 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting and remove the lid. Remove the steamer basket from the pot. Pour the potatoes into a bowl.
- Pour the peas into the Instant Pot and stir. Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting to heat the peas through. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Mash the potatoes well and stir in the milk and butter, until melted. Salt and pepper the potatoes to taste.
- Air fryer lid option: Scoop and smooth the potatoes over the top of the beef/peas. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the potatoes. Put the air fryer lid on top and turn it on 400° F for 5 minutes. Oven option: Pour the mixture from Instant Pot into a 9×9 inch baking dish. Scoop and smooth the potatoes over the top. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake for 15 minutes at 400° F.
- Scoop onto plates and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1* and Mealthy CrispLid.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot/Air fryer lid
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.