After trying this soup your family will start calling it THE soup because it will knock their socks off! Tortellini Soup in the Instant Pot or Crockpot has loads of flavor from sausage, cheese tortellini and parmesan. Try serving Instant Pot tortellini soup with cornbread and honey butter for a home run supper!
Note: both the SLOW COOKER and Instant Pot instructions are listed in the recipe card below
Instant Pot Sausage Tortellini Soup
I give this soup 5 stars! It was a hit with each member of my family. With lots of flavor and a bit of creaminess it hits the spot and is comforting on a chilly night. We served ours up with our favorite cornbread. Another option is making homemade Little Casesars Crazy Bread. Either way you’ll have happy taste buds.
What other people are saying about THE soup…
Sandy said, “It was wonderful and so flavorful! I made it just as you posted. Delicious!”
Cindi said, “I made this tonight and my picky family loved it. I used mild Italian sausage and my husband said he wished I’d used a little spicier sausage but he likes spicy and I don’t so adjust to your tastes. I thought mild Italian sausage was perfect. He did add red pepper flakes on his own bowl. I used tomato sauce instead of crushed tomatoes and half & half because that’s what I had. It’s definitely a make again recipe for us! I think next time I’ll add white cannellini beans to it. I served it with homemade bread from bread machine. Good meal for cold weather.”
Susie said, “Turned out absolutely delicious! So good that we ate the leftovers for breakfast the next day! This has been added to our favorites list!!”
Ingredients for Tortellini Soup
- Ground sausage–breakfast pork sausage or Italian sausage both work
- Onion–or 2 Tbsp of minced dried onion
- Chicken broth–or water and Better than Bouillon
- Diced tomatoes
- Crushed tomatoes
- Garlic powder–or granulated garlic or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Italian seasoning–or make your own
- Frozen tortellini–I used store brand cheese tortellini
- Evaporated milk–or heavy cream or half and half
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil
Basic Steps for Making Instant Pot Creamy Tortellini Soup
- Use saute mode to brown the sausage and aromatics.
- Deglaze the pot and add ingredients .
- Pressure cook with a 5-10 minute natural pressure release.
- Add in the frozen tortellini.
- Temper the dairy to prevent it from separating.
- Stir in the dairy and parmesan cheese.
- Serve topped with fresh basil.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of sausage should I use?
I used ground breakfast sausage (it might have been the Farmland brand or maybe Jimmy Dean). You can use any type of ground sausage that you like. If you want to bump up the flavor use a spicy sausage or Italian sausage. You can also use chicken sausage or chopped smoked turkey sausage.
What kind of broth do you use?
For making soups in the Instant Pot I like to use water and Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base*. I buy mine in the large jars from Costco. I used 4 cups of water and 4 tsp of the chicken base. You can also use canned or boxed chicken broths.
What kind of tortellini did you use?
Look for cheese tortellini in the frozen section of your grocery store. The frozen tortellini and ravioli are usually found next to the frozen breads/doughs. I haven’t tried this recipe with fresh tortellini but I’m sure you could with great results. The fresh tortellini might need to cook a little longer than frozen.
Can I used dried tortellini?
Personally I don’t like the taste of dried tortellini. However, you can try it if you’d like. Add in the dried tortellini before pressure cooking.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes. Instead of tortellini use gluten-free pasta. Cook the pasta according to package directions and strain. Scoop the amount of pasta you want into each serving bowl. That way the pasta won’t disintegrate in the soup.
What’s up with two types of tomatoes?
By using crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes you get the best of both worlds. The crushed tomatoes have a more pureed texture and the diced tomatoes give you a few chunks of tomatoes in your soup. Alternately, you can use 2 cans crushed or 2 cans of diced.
How are the leftovers?
The only issue with this soup is that the tortellini gets bloated and a bit mushy as leftovers. I will definitely still eat it! But it just won’t have the same texture as the first night.
Does this soup freeze well?
This isn’t the best soup to freeze because of the dairy separating and the pasta getting mushy. Some other choices of soup that might freeze well are Instant Pot Brunswick Stew or Instant Pot Loaded Frito Taco Soup,
Can I halve this recipe?
Yes you can. Just use one type of tomatoes (so you don’t have two cans that are half used). Cook for the same amount of time. Get more info on how to halve Instant Pot recipes successfully.
Can I double this recipe?
This soup will only double if you have a large 10 quart Instant Pot. You can 1.5 times the recipe in the 8 quart pot successfully. Find out more about successfully doubling Instant Pot recipes.
Can I use a lactose free dairy option?
I am not entirely sure on how it will affect the flavor profile but you can sure give it a shot. Let me know in the comments what you use and if it turns out well.
Can I add in more greens?
Sure! Try adding in chopped fresh baby spinach or kale when you stir in the tortellini.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes You’ll Love…
Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Everything you love about baked potatoes in soup form…cheese, bacon, sour cream, green onions and potatoes. Basically a cheesy potato soup recipe that you can make in your electric pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Italian Sausage and Spinach Soup
Creamy broth, chunks of Italian sausage, spinach, carrots and pasta combine to make a hearty soup perfect for a cold winter night.
Instant Pot Italian Tortellini Soup
Italian sausage is browned with onions and garlic and then beef broth, tortellini, tomatoes, green peppers and zucchini are simmered together to produce a soup with ultimate flavor.
Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo Tortellini Soup
A creamy tortellini soup with chicken, vegetables and parmesan cheese. If you love chicken alfredo you’ll love this soup!
A family favorite soup with loads of flavor from sausage, cheese tortellini and parmesan. Serve up with fresh breadsticks or cornbread and honey butter.
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 (19 oz) package frozen tortellini
- 1 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream or half and half
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper (about 1/4 tsp each)
- Fresh basil, for garnish
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Turn Instant Pot to the sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the ground sausage and break it up*. Add in the onion, celery and carrots. Cook for about 5 minutes. Drain any excess grease. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add in broth, tomatoes, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the soup button (or manual/pressure cook button) to 5 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Add in the frozen tortellini and turn the Instant Pot to sauté. The tortellini should cook through in just 2-3 minutes.
- Add a quarter cup of the hot liquid into the dairy and stir. Repeat. This will help temper the dairy to prevent separating.
- Once tortellini is cooked through remove the Instant Pot liner from the pot and set on the counter. Stir in the dairy and parmesan cheese. Then add salt and pepper to taste (this is important!).
- Ladle into bowls and top with chopped fresh basil.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add in the ground sausage and break it up*. Add in the onion, celery and carrots. Cook for about 5 minutes. Drain any excess grease. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add in broth, tomatoes, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add in the tortellini and cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add a quarter cup of the hot liquid into the dairy and stir. Repeat. This will help temper the dairy to prevent separating. Add the dairy and parmesan cheese into the slow cooker.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (this is important!).
- Ladle into bowls and top with chopped fresh basil.
How I use paper towels to “drain the grease”–Tilt the Instant Pot to one side while holding the ground meat against the other side with a wooden spoon. This should make most of the grease pool on the tilted side. Lower the Instant Pot down, the meat should stay to its side and the grease on the other. Place a couple paper towels into the grease and use the spoon to sop up the grease. Discard the paper towels.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. No changes for the 8 quart. Halve the recipe for the 3 quart pot.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.