Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup–everything you love about baked potatoes in soup form…cheese, bacon, sour cream, green onions and potatoes. Basically a cheesy potato soup recipe that you can make in your electric pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
One thing that I LOVE to use my Instant Pot for is making baked potatoes. I can cook them in 10 minutes and eat them up immediately or use them for another recipe, like potato salad. It’s just a convenient way to cook potatoes.
This recipe for instant pot loaded baked potato soup starts with cooking potatoes. I used red potatoes but you could also use yellow potatoes or Russet potatoes. I chose not to peel my potatoes because I like the skins of red potatoes and the texture that they add to the soup. If you’re using Russet potatoes you may want to peel the potatoes before cooking them in the pressure cooker.
After the potatoes were cooked I took them out of the pressure cooker and then made a roux with flour and butter on the saute setting. This is just done by melting the butter and then whisking one tablespoon of flour at a time into the butter until you get a creamy, lump-free consistency. This helps thicken the soup.
After I made the roux I added in milk (I used 1% milk). I used the saute setting to heat the milk until it was bubbling and thickened up, thanks to the roux.
At this point I added in the potatoes. I chose to mash my potatoes on a cutting board before adding them back in. Now they weren’t totally mashed. There were some parts that were mashed and some parts that were chunky. Again, I like the different textures in my soup. You could mash them completely for less texture or you could even cut them into cubes for more pronounced bites of potato.
Lastly I stirred in some sour cream, grated cheddar, green onions, and real bacon bits to make it the real deal. This is creamy and indulgent and frankly quite delicious. The recipe below makes about 5 servings but you can easily double this recipe with no problems. I don’t think this soup is a good one to freeze considering it’s dairy based and potato based…both items that don’t do well in the freezer. But you can keep this in the fridge for up to a week in an airtight container.
More potato recipes you’ll love…
What Instant Pot Did You Use?
For Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I also own the 6 quart Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker.* They are both great pressure cookers! The first one I mentioned has a yogurt making function but other than that they are fairly similar. The price difference between the two is about $20.Print
Everything you love about baked potatoes in soup form…cheese, bacon, sour cream, green onions and potatoes. Basically a cheesy potato soup recipe that you can make in your electric pressure cooker.
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, red, yellow or Russets (see picture below for what that looked like in the bottom of my IP)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups milk (I used 1% milk)
- 1 tsp Better than Bouillon chicken base
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated medium or sharp cheddar
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 (3 oz) package real bacon bits
- If using red or yellow potatoes, scrub them clean. If using Russet potatoes, peel them. Pour 1 cup of water in the bottom of your Instant Pot and then place trivet in the bottom. Place potatoes on top of the trivet.
- Cover the Instant Pot and lock the lid. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Set the pressure cook button (mine says manual) for 10 minutes on high pressure for red or yellow potatoes and 20 minutes for russets. When the timer beeps carefully move the valve to “venting” to let the pressure release. When you can, remove the lid.
- Remove the potatoes and set aside. Discard the water. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting on “less.” Melt the butter. Once butter is melted whisk in one tablespoon of flour at a time until you get a creamy, lump-free roux. Add in the salt and pepper. Let it start to bubble, whisking constantly.
- Once it is bubbling add in the milk and Better than Bouillon and whisk. Adjust the saute setting to a high heat. Whisk every few minutes until the milk starts to thicken and bubble.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the warm setting. Stir in the sour cream, cheddar, diced onions and bacon.
- Smash the potatoes with a potato masher. My potatoes were somewhat smashed but still had some chunkiness to them. Stir the potatoes into the Instant Pot. Salt and pepper the soup if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
This soup can be doubled.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
Send Me Free Recipes
Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.