Instant Pot Dad’s Creamy Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes–ultra creamy and cheesy thinly sliced potatoes made fast and easy using your Instant Pot. A perfect side dish for ham, roast or chicken.
Instant Pot Dad’s Creamy Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
If you’re looking for the perfect side dish that everyone will love and I mean EVERYone (okay maybe not lactose intolerant people) then I have a recipe for you! These potatoes are cooked in only a 2 minute pressure cook time and then tossed into a easy homemade cheese sauce to create a most comforting potato dish. And don’t forget the bacon crumbles on top! The bacon just brings these potatoes to a whole new level.
You may be wondering why I called these potatoes dad’s au gratin potatoes and the real reason is that I got the idea for this recipe from Ambitious Kitchen and that was the name of her recipe. Her father used to make the potatoes for all sorts of holidays and special occasions. I just like the idea of dad’s cooking. Dad’s are the best! I love when Greg cooks dinner because it always tastes better to me than my own cooking.
Tips for making Instant Pot au gratin potatoes
- Evenly slice your potatoes. By evenly slicing the potatoes you will ensure that they cook evenly. Try your best to slice them about 1/8th of an inch thick. I use my salad master tool for this step and it makes it very fast and easy. You can also use a mandolin or a knife and a cutting board :).
- Toss them into the steamer basket. Try not to stack the potatoes into the steamer basket but rather toss them in. This way the potatoes don’t stick to each other which will prevent them from getting cooked through.
- Shred the cheese off the block instead using pre-shredded cheese. It melts creamier and doesn’t clump up due to the additives in pre-shredded cheese.
- Season to taste. When you’re done coating the potatoes with the cheese sauce add salt and pepper to taste. Everyone has different preferences so be the judge of what tastes good to you.
More Instant Pot Potatoes Recipes…
If you’re like me and haven’t met a potato you didn’t like try these other Instant Pot potato recipes!
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Ultra creamy and cheesy thinly sliced potatoes made fast and easy using your Instant Pot. A perfect side dish for ham, roast or chicken.
Equipment needed: steamer basket
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled or unpeeled
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp dried minced onion
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ cup crumbled bacon
- Slice the potatoes very thin (about 1/8th inch thick). Place them in the steamer basket*. Pour 1 ½ cups water in bottom of Instant Pot. Place the steamer basket into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 1 minute (for paper thin, mandolin sliced potatoes or 2 minutes for cardboard thick cut potatoes). When time is up let pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Remove the steamer basket and set aside. Dump out water and dry out bottom of Instant Pot.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting (MORE). Add in the butter and let it melt. Once it is melted whisk in the flour, a tablespoon at a time so that there is no lumps. Add in the salt, pepper, paprika and onion. Add in the milk and whisk until the sauce is thickened. Be careful not to burn.
- Turn the sauté setting to LESS. Stir in the cheeses and bacon. Once cheese is melted fold in the potatoes and coat well with the sauce.
- Turn off Instant Pot or turn it to warm setting. Scoop onto plates and enjoy. For a more baked, casserole type of dish pour everything into a 9×13 inch pan and bake for 20 minutes at 350.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make this with no changes in your 8 quart pot.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes (plus 5 minute NPR)
- Category: Side
- Method: Instant Pot
Order Your Copy Of The 365 Days Of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
The 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook is a recipe book with over 365 different easy and approachable electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) dinner recipes. There’s also a chapter with breakfasts, appetizers and side dishes. The recipes in this book are generally fast, easy and approachable. Oh, and don’t forget DELICIOUS!
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.