Scalloped potatoes are essential at a big family dinner but the problem is where are you going to bake them? The oven is full of ham or turkey and the stove top is busy too with other side dishes bubbling away. The answer is, of course, your slow cooker. Free up oven space and make this classic dish in the slow cooker. This version has bacon on top of the cheesy and creamy potatoes which I think just gives it a little something extra.Print
Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, sliced into 1/8 inch rounds (peeled or unpeeled)
- 3/4 cups Sargento® Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup Sargento® Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup bacon bits (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the diced onion and sauté for about 5 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for another minute. Pour into the chicken broth and whisk. Add in the evaporated milk, salt, pepper, thyme and whisk. Continue cooking until the sauce starts simmering and thickening. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a greased slow cooker spread half of your sliced potatoes evenly. Then top with half of the sauce and half of the Cheddar cheese and half of the Mexican cheese and all of the Parmesan cheese. Layer the remaining potatoes on top and spread the remaining sauce over the potatoes. Save the remaining cheese for later.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for about 3-4 hours or until potatoes are cooked through and tender.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and if desired, the bacon bits. Let the cheese melt for 10 minutes in covered slow cooker and then serve. If you’re using the casserole crock you can melt the cheese under the broiler in your oven.
Ideal slow cooker size: 3-quart casserole crock or 6-quart oval slow cooker
Leave a Reply